free hit
counters
Change to V8 Gearbox? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Glyn Harper

Change to V8 Gearbox?

Hello all.

My current '88 gearbox has started to whine a bit.. I suspect it's the fact it's now done nearly 100,000 miles, and was also about a litre down on oil when I last topped it up!

Also, my gearchange is appalling.. it's a right dog to go between gears.

I was going to take it down to Lotus in the summer to get all the bushes and what have you replaced, to improve the gearchange. But, will my gearbox blow not much after?

So, here's my dilemma.

Do I throw my hand in, and go for a second hand V8 gearbox and all the bits that will be needed with it? That should hopefully give me better ratios to match the 300bhp I have, a better gear selection as the later selectors will be fitted, and a newer more servicable gearbox.

Or, do I live with the geabox I have, get the linkages serviced by Lotus, and hope that even if the gearbox does need stipping in the future and rebuilding, it'll still be a nice enough gearchange once Lotus have replaced all the bushes and set it up right.

Having never actually driven a V8 with the later style gearchange, I don't know how much better it is.

I may be wasting my money trying to get a V8 one, and should perhaps just spend the money on the one I have.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Glyn.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Here's my thoughts, if you buy a second hand gearbox you will not know what you're getting unless strip it, if you buy a V8 gearbox, it's not going to bolt straight on so there is more cost.

If you strip and re-build the Renault gearbox you know what's in it, likely only needs seals and syncros.

Gear change as I tell everyone the biggest improvement to my acceleration times was the work I did on the gear change, I listen to all the gear changes on U tube and non of them are as snappy as mine.

So I would have the gearbox rebuilt, and the gear change renewed, and have confidence that that's as good as it gets, no nasty surprises. Roger

I thought the V8 box should be an almost straight bolt on, with just the bell housing to change. However, on the geear ratios matching your 300 HP more accurately, I'm not certain that will be the case, it really depends on the power output relative to speed for your engine against a V8, although you have more power than most standard 4 pots (Sport 300/ S4S 2.2l being akin to yours) the power curve may still more closely match a normal 4 pot than a V8.

I definitelty agree with Roger, a re-build gived you a definite reassurnance of a good box (assuming good workmanship), any used box could have issues about to develop, and re gear change, have to agree, refurb it, with good components, possibly even replacing the cables.

Andy

You can also upgrade your final gear during the rebuild for less RPM during high speed.

You have 300hp, let them run :yes:

Thanks for the info chaps.. I think perhaps that's the way to go. Having never driven a V8, I didn't know whether a good standard 88 geabox and gearchange could be made as nice as a V8 box.. If it can, then I would rather stick to what I have to be honest.. as has been said, less potential problems to worry about!

It also gives me the excuse I've been looking for, to go down to Lotus and get everything sorted :)