free hit
counters
Removing the ball joints from the track rod ends - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

Removing the ball joints from the track rod ends

Does anybody know how to get the ball joints out of the track rod ends? There doesn't seem to be anything on this in the manula I have. It's probably obvious but I can't see how to do it!!

Thanks, Paul.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There special tools, there's one like a tapered tuning fork you hit in between the ball joint and and the steering arm. There is also a puller but mine won't fit on an Esprit.

The next bit is important, a lot depends on the age and condition of the ball joints, take the nut right off and make sure the thread is reasonably free then put the nut back on leaving about an 1/8 inch gap now hit it with a hammer, and you should brake the tapper, then just spin the nut off. If you don't make sure the nut is free before you crack the tapper you spend the next 20 minutes spinning the ball joint in the housing! If you know you are not going to use the ball joint again, just take the nut right off and hit it.

Roger

Sorry I should have made it clearer... the steering rack is off the car and I need to know how to get the actual ball joint out of the track rod end.

Thanks, Paul.

Hi Paul,

I may be wrong but I believe they are supposed to be sealed and not come apart. Once it's knackered you need to replace it.

Pete

Yep I believe you're right. I thought they'd found an ingenious way of fitting them :yes:

Thanks, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

So how do you replace steering rack gators?

You unscrew the track rod ends (which include the ball joints) and slide the new gaitor over the newly exposed end of the rack.

And mark how far along the trackrod ends are screwed on so you can put them back to the correct setting otherwise you'll need to get the tracking reset.

Pete