free hit
counters
Tyre size global question - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprits4de

Tyre size global question

Hi,

I read through the tyre threads and looked on LEW, for the Mags a 235/40ZR17 and 295/35ZR18 rear is recomended. Looking at the available tyres on the market these look like the choice .

Michelin Pilot Sport. or illegal choice Bridgestone RE55S

But there are so many really good looking and tempting tyres, specially for the rear, but the sizes are a little different 295/30 R 18 !

Toyo R888 , Bridgestome Potenza RE-11, ...

Would these fit ? need to highten the ride in the rear 5mm to make up for the loss ?

Would a 285/35R18 fit ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Olaf,

I've been told that 285/35R18 will fit fine. Bearing in mind that the other V8 Esprit models use this size, I don't think that it will have a major impact on road holding/grip for every day use. In extreme situations the rear of the car may step out a bit earlier due to less rubber being in contact with the road.

I personally wouldn't try 295/30/R18 due to the the drop in the rear ride height.

When I recently purchased new tyres there didn't seem to be a lack of choice in the correct sizes.

Gruss,

Peter.

wheel size is still 10" so 285 is fine. I have 285 30 18 on a set of rears for track use and they are considerably thinner walled but it doesn't matter for what I use them for.

I have had 265 35 on a set before and while the fitted they were not ideal, didn't look stretched or anything but I wasn't 100% comfy with them.

Now I have 295 35 18 on the rears and they are ideal and fill out nicely.

285 or 295 maybe 305 max but ideally 35 section.

And if you look at Camskill there are a fair few tyres that will meet the spec but aren't michelin. Why people stick to a brand tyre is beyond me. plenty of other good stuff out there, often for a lot less.

just checked and they do Toyo Prox T1s in 235 40 17, 285 35 18 and 295 35 18 for reasonable money.

ps what does this mean 'illegal choice Bridgestone RE55S'

Edited by DBredS4

The only thing you have to be careful about in the UK is that if you use non specified tyres without informing your insurance company, they could potentially not setlle up after a claim if they find out.

I've no idea what the situation would be in other countries..

The bridgestone RE55 S I was looking at meet the specs, but are semi-slick without road approval in Germany.....

I'll keep looking into other brands this evening...

cheers and thanx for the replys so far !

When I bought mine, the dealership had just installed a new set of the Toyo T1s on. I don't have any additional experience with that particular brand, but my experiences so far (7 months now) have been positive. They seem to be well suited for everyday driving and I suspect they would also be good for track use, however I haven't had the opportunity to try. I do know that I can take a cloverleaf freeway offramp at pretty decent speed (50 or so when feeling spirited) and it sticks very well without the slightest indication of squeal. Personal preference is generally goodyear tires, but will gladly take any good brand of tires with the right price.

The one tire I will likely never use again are Pirelli. I had a set of those and didn't get 15K out of them before they were bald. Their life seems to be too short for what you pay. They might be good for track use, but for everyday driving, I want tires that are going to last a while.

UPDATE :

As the Advan AD08 are not available atm, I found a verry nice, and cheaper alternative :

Nitto NT05 ! Nitto is Toyo if I am not mistaken...

I got a quote CAD 230 front, CAD 430 rear.....

Do any of you have any experience with Vredestein Sessanta's? I'm thinking of trying them. They have 245/40/17's and 295/35/18's. Will 245/40's be too big for the front?

According to the latest test in a mag here, SportAuto, they do not really cut it. They come in at 7th out of 10. Acording to the test they seem to be ok in the wet mounted on the front. In the dry they seem to react harshly on sudden turns.

The resumee was : they look better then they are. :-(