free hit
counters
Parking brake mechanism - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
freshcut

Parking brake mechanism

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help. I've recently been having some problems with the hand brake assembly. It has lost it's ability to ratchet, so when you pull the handle, you can feel the tension on the brake cables as normal, but it won't hold and just returns back to the "off" position as soon as you let go. I'm assuming that the locking pawl has broken and the entire mechanism will need to be replaced. My question is, has anyone done this, and how do you gain access to everything? Unfortunately the service manual doesn't give any information that I've been able to find and assume it must be in the separate publication for the Brake system. I'd appreciate any advice that can be given. :)

Thanks,

Blake

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

For best access remove the drivers seat (not absolutely necessary so skip it if you wish), pull the carpet back at the base of the inner sill trim and you'll find some rivets holding it to the floor, ditto along the top edge near the door aperture. Remove these and the inner sill trim should come out, allowing good access. Although the seat is behind the line of the brake mechanism, it's in line with the adjustment on the cables, that's why I'd recommend removing it.

Andy

On the later cars there is an opening in the sill to access the handbrake and the carpet has a flap over the hole that is secured with velcro. You should be able to determine what the problem is and possibly fix it through the access hole. If it needs to come out then you'll have to remove the sill as Andy stated.

not totally sure if it is related to your *no ratchet* problem -bud on my car there was the restpoint/fix-point for the cables broken. So i could pull the brake lever bud it does not really apply the brake mechanism, as it bend the metal rest (for the bowden-cables) instead. If you undo the carped as advised you should see the full mechanism from cables up to the multiplier lever system. So watch out if there is any broken welds or clamps fallen of -or something like that... .

good luck if you have to undo the cable holder. I never managed to get that damn thing of (as the nuts who hold it are on the other side -behind the outer sill body parts probably :-/ )

I think that problem is not related to what I have Gunter. If I pull the handle even part way it holds the car even on a hill, it just won't "lock" at that position, just like someone is holding the release button down, even though it's not. I didn't notice any velcro flap upon casual inspection, but will do a more detailed inspection later today, hopefully being a June '02 build its falls under the category of "later cars", and I was blinded by the obvious.

At this point I was just hoping it was something as simple as removing a few screws just for an inspection to see exactly what the cause was but with all this talk of rivets, I'm going to safely assume this is going to turn out to be more involved than I first suspected. Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure I'll have additional questions, unless the Lotus gods see fit to reward me with an uneventful repair.

Looks like the Gods are smiling on me today! I was too blind to see the flap which was present, and upon closer inspection and figuring out how the mechanism works, it seems that there is supposed to be a bolt that holds the gearwheel stationary for the ratchet to grab. That bolt has gone missing, likely somewhere toward the back of the sill. Thanks for the info guys! :)

even my car (an old '98) does have it -so you will see the 'inspection flap' section of he carpet.

...oh.. I see -you made it! :) !

Edited by G

Yep, found the bolt, reattached, and working normally. I do however find it hard to believe that the engineers at Lotus would require the removal of the entire sill to gain access to the parking brake mechanism. It seems so counterproductive to require so much work for repair. It's certainly an easy mod to cut access holes out and install velcro for those that might not have the access opening. And certainly a whole lot easier than drilling a bunch of rivets out. I'd imagine the same is true for the parking brake adjustment should that need to be adjusted.