free hit
counters
Mirror repair - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DanR

Mirror repair

My mirror used to have blurred vision which I fixed by lengthening the rubber stopper to the screen with a piece of vacuum hose. A common fix.

Well after a few years it recently got worse and finally fell off a couple of days ago. Looks like it's designed to snap off in an accident when impacted by a head or so. Guess the vibrations over the years brought on a fine fracture which eventually made a clean break.

As we do here in the antipodes, given how far and difficult it is to a repalcement quickly, I repaired it today.

Drilled and tapped for a 4x.7mm screw, plate and set in Sikaflex.

Getting the two holding screws required loosening the overhead trim panel since they have nyloc nuts. Little is straightforward on these cars.

And always something to do...suspension bushes (now urethane) split expansion tank (currently making an alloy one) and this latest problem. Just as well I enjoy fiddling with this car. Being handmade it's not too difficult to replicate a lot of it.

Anyway here are some photos if others end up with the same mirror problem.

LotusmirrorrepairApr09001.jpg

LotusmirrorrepairApr09006.jpg

LotusmirrorrepairApr09008.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.