free hit
counters
Chargecooler Rad Blocked - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fsrowsell

Chargecooler Rad Blocked

Today I decided to change out my Charge Cooler pump for an electric pump...I thought everything was find with my old pump, but wanted the electric... When I took the old pump off what a surprise!

It was in very bad shape as you can see from the picture... No problem, I put my plug in and decided to flush the system... but I can not get a water flow in any direction... It seems it's blocked solid... Any tips on who to get it unblocked without taking the Rad out... I have hooked a garden holes up to the system in both directions, but I'm afraid to put too much pressure in the system. I don't want to split the rad...

post-5388-1239548782_thumb.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In the left front wheel well, there are two charge cooler pipes.

Take the pipes apart, and aim them into a bucket, flush water with a hose (and a pressure nozzle) into each cc pipe in the engine bay so that the water and rubber pump blades go into the bucket.

Then do the same to the two hoses to the chargecooler rad, flush both directions.

Thanks Travis, after looking at the Chargecooler system in the Service notes. I thought that's what I would have to do next...

Thanks again for your input...

Cheers

Felix

Edited by fsrowsell

The hose connections near the rad are actually steel, and tend to corrode. I replaced mine with 5/8" plastic hose connections from the local auto parts store.

You could try the chemical flush, but you need to get the old impeller blades out to get the chemical circulating...

There is also another hose connection on the lower right side of the engine, under the airbox. That could be a blockage point as well.

I'd be wary of a chemical as ali is very reactive with water, although its salts are not, so anything that removes the surface layer of salts will easily cause corrosion of the tubes.

The snake is a good idea. You could try lengths of metal (solid or tube with ends blocked) and push them like a train to get the blockage moved back towards the engine end.

I ended up replacing the front left aluminum pipe. It was full of holes, so I fab'd another one out of 15mm pipe. Now everything works brilliantly

post-5388-1239826946_thumb.jpg

post-5388-1239826962_thumb.jpg

post-5388-1239826976_thumb.jpg