free hit
counters
Fuel Injector Replacement Procedure Write-Up - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Riddlemr2

Fuel Injector Replacement Procedure Write-Up

I'm going to swap out the stock fuel injectors for some RC injectors. Seems pretty straightforward but I was wondering if there was a write-up anywhere...couldn't seem to find one on LEW.

Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have tons of pictures on my website, but since I just rebuilt the site, I haven't added any descriptions yet

depressurizing the fuel tanks is critical!

Remove fuel caps, run engine and then remove fuel pump fuse. Let the car die.

Remove the cap on the end of the rail, and hold a rag over the schrader valve while you carefully open the valve with a tool to let out the last of the fuel in the rail. Wear safety glasses.

http://vulcangrey.lotuscolorado.com/galler...pair_work/Fuel/

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Totally straightforward - backup everything Travis has said - make sure you remove the fuel pressure which will remain in the system and makes a mess if you forget.

Other than that, surely ranks as one of the easiest jobs ever undertaken on my Esprit, which is rather unusual.

What are the benefits to this, do I need to do it, shall I?

Hiya bibs,

are you still on the original injectors? they're probably getting a bit warn now which will cause the spry pattern to be a bit naffed up (drip drip drip splash not mist mist squirt).

When i swapped to WC's it smoothed out the tick over loads and seemed (I have no graphical or data to prove this) to make the acceleration harder but more linear with the on off boost surge more noticeable but smoother.

I replaced my original injectors with BOSCH (~half the price of RC btw).

My originals were totally clogged, so I really needed new ones.

The BOSCH are fine, even RC will say so. There are many options with new injectors too if you are planning mods. many leave the stock injector sizes for the primaries, and increase the secondaries. that way you maintain drive ability while increasing top end fueling for a bigger turbo.

I have tons of pictures on my website, but since I just rebuilt the site, I haven't added any descriptions yet

depressurizing the fuel tanks is critical!

Remove fuel caps, run engine and then remove fuel pump fuse. Let the car die.

Remove the cap on the end of the rail, and hold a rag over the schrader valve while you carefully open the valve with a tool to let out the last of the fuel in the rail. Wear safety glasses.

http://vulcangrey.lotuscolorado.com/galler...pair_work/Fuel/

Does the chargecooler have to be moved? It looks like the fuel rail is a really tight fit, and the secondaries also seem hard to access...

we (bosbon_be and I) moved the charge cooler a bit aside (unscrew 2 bolts), easier to access ! It's a bit fiddling to get the clips back on the fuel injectors, the fourth will go 3x faster than the 1st one :)

In my case, I replaced the spark leads as well, and spark plugs, result is much smoother running engine (less raw) ; dunno on performance level though ...

Any advice for replacing the secondaries? The RC injectors I got from WC were slightly shorter than the stock units and it took some adjustment of the little metal bracket that holds them in place to get the injectors to extend far enough to reach the manifold.

Strange... I did this job about a year ago (WC injectors, primary and secondary), but didn't have any adjustments to do.

However, fitting them was somewhat of a pain, I remember. The o-rings seemed a little big and didn't want to go in the holes. Lubing them up (as recommended) seemed to make things harder. Maybe I should have lubed the holes only, not the o-rings.

If you've loosened them, don't forget to tighten up the chargecooler hoses. I missed one clip and the turbo boost dropped off when the air forced past the loose clip ; )

Cheers.

Ian.