free hit
counters
Making a paint booth - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

Making a paint booth

Well, if you've been following my very long and drawn out S1 restoration you'll probably know I'm getting near to painting the car in polyester/high build primer. Until now I've been doing any spraying of etch primer (which is not 2-pack) in my garage but the time has come to start on the nasty stuff. 2-pack contains isocyanates which are not nice, to say the least. Many a professional painter has had to retire early due to ill health caused by exposure to isocyanates. their effects are irreversible and it doesn't take much to become sensitised to the stuff. The effects are asthma like attacks which can be brought on by just the smell of paint and even cold air, so I'm not going to be taking any chances with this stuff!!

Fortunately I live out in the country and not on a highly populated housing estate so I'm feeling okay about spraying my car in my back garden. I'm not going to use the garage because I've created so much dust in there I'd never get it clean enough to spray the top coat - I'm not even going to try. So I'm going to use a garden party tent I bought a few years back from a DIY store for

Edited by Paul Coleman

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Isay go for it Paul .Good luck all the best Mike

Best to have a slight overpressure in the tent, this will result in leaks blowing air out of the tent. If these leaks start to suck air into the tent (due to underpressure), they will also carry dust into the tent. Something you don't need when spraying paint.

Yes that's a good point - I have a couple of desk fans (12" fans I guess) which I could use to force more air into the tent. I wonder if that would be enough to create positive pressure inside if I put them both on maximum speed? I shall have to try it I guess - I'm not using too many calculations and maths here just make it up as I go along :wub:

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

I thought you could not get 2K paint anymore? But I may have that wrong. How much is it costing you to do this? sometimes it is not much more to have it done by a pro as they have all the odds and sods that you have to buy. plus the booth, oven and the H&S gear.

Ps if you are pulling air in are you filtering it to stop dust and filtering whats going out?

Good luck, painting is a real skill.

Edited by red vtec

Hey sounds a good idea and good luck. I know someone who does a lot of painting cars in the garage (no proper booth) and he also wets the floor, it helps keep dust particles from rising when stomping around the car.

The leaf blower is a great idea in keeping the overspray dealt with but the point was well made about having some type of filtered air coming in. If you create negative pressure in the tent then some type of filter (cell foam perhaps) incorporated in the structure would provide that.

Looks nice,

Jeff

As somebody commented - yes 2-pack is no longer available (technically) but you can still get it. Suppliers are still allowed to sell it until all supplies are used.

As for filtering - I plan on filtering the incoming air and also the outgoing. I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to use yet but I was thinking of foam for the outgoing air as it's only to collect the overspray. There are various filter elements for sale on eBay which I'm going to look at.

With regard to the other comment - yes I could have paid somebody to paint the whole car but where's the fun in that? I've never paineted a car before so I wanted to have a go :) I also plan on doing all the trimming for this car as well. Apart from the engine machine work and plating I will have done everything else.

Cheers, Paul.

With regard to the other comment - yes I could have paid somebody to paint the whole car but where's the fun in that? I've never paineted a car before so I wanted to have a go smile.gif I also plan on doing all the trimming for this car as well. Apart from the engine machine work and plating I will have done everything else.

Great words Paul!!!!

This is the right way to restore a car!! :)

Cheers

Giorgio

With regard to the other comment - yes I could have paid somebody to paint the whole car but where's the fun in that? I've never paineted a car before so I wanted to have a go :) I also plan on doing all the trimming for this car as well. Apart from the engine machine work and plating I will have done everything else.

Cheers, Paul.

Great job ! I wouldn't touch it myself, just because I'm really clumsy on that :)

very curious on the result !

With regard to the other comment - yes I could have paid somebody to paint the whole car but where's the fun in that? I've never paineted a car before so I wanted to have a go smile.gif I also plan on doing all the trimming for this car as well. Apart from the engine machine work and plating I will have done everything else.

Great words Paul!!!!

This is the right way to restore a car!! :)

Cheers

Giorgio

Giorgio has said it very well and I'm certain you will have the finest restored S1 there has ever been, I also think your method of painting the car will give perfect results

One small concern I would have is keeping the body damp free between the polyester/high build primer being painted and the paint going on

Matt

Regarding damp between coats, could you seal the floor with more poly and hire a good dehumidifier? The amount of water it would collect would be impressive enough to justify its use for this?

Looks like it will be a great setup.

Leaf blowers are pretty powerful though - need to make sure the pressure wont blow the seals in the tent open. If you have a large enough 'out' it will be OK. Really, you could create a very large filter area for the outflow.

Total cost of all this will be interesting. It will obviously be nowhere near the cost of a pro job but you stand to have much better results since you will be able to input the time.

Hmm, think I misread your plans.

If you were planning to use the leaf blower on vacuum, you will have a hard job controlling all the possible 'in' sites. Your fans would also struggle to maintain the positive pressure required. Better to have one in and as many outs as your tent likes. Obviously a main out is best. Having thought about it some more, a leaf blower will probably be about right considering all the leaks which are inevitable.

I work in an orthopaedic theatre setting - no particles whatsoever allowed! The 'in' air is highly filtered and moves in large volumes powered by big fans. The 'in' is directed at the patient but is very large so you barely feel a breeze. The outs are all at floor level and are relatively small because of all the other 'leaks' which are inevitable. Because it is a positive driven system, these leaks are of little consequence. This system is fairly simple but highly effective.

Simon

Paul, be aware that etch primer is meant for metal. I does not work well on plastic or resin and may in fact peel off given a decent rubbing.

Dave Everett

>>I work in an orthopaedic theatre setting

Cor, you couldn't have a look at my back could you? I've had a bad back for 15 years or more now and resisted surgery so far but I think the time will come before not too long :)

Re - moisture. I already own a dehumidifier which I could use, I'm just a little concerned with having electrical stuff inside an explosive atmosphere!! I'll probably just pick a nice sunny day and leave the car outside to bake in the sun for an hour or so before I spray. I'm planning on having the whole car sprayed before the end of the summer so I catch the good weather. I did read somewhere that if you ever have a fibreglass car sprayed you should never put it in a low bake oven as the resin can become liquid again at as low as 60C. Most ovens are a lot hotter than that but most professional painters are completely unaware of this. It's not unheard of for a GRP body to be ruined because of this apparently.

I did double check the etch primer to make sure it could be used on fibreglass before I bought it and it seems to take a fair bit of effort to get it off so fingers crossed :)

Cheers, Paul.

Paul I didn't mean any offence.

I've always fancied respraying a car (my daily driver needs one). Just when I have looked at it with all the bits I'd need to get compressor, gun, suits, resperator etc it would be easier for me to get some one to do it.

I wish you the all the best in this. have you got some old car panels to practice on?

I remeber watching a program on sparying cars and it is important to not let the gun off until you have past the end of the panel, otherwise you get orange peel on the ends.

Good luck