free hit
counters
Speedometer(?) Issues - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
73JPS

Speedometer(?) Issues

Gynther, you are right.

I took that pic last week. Last saturday I went to Helsinki and I was in hurry. So when speed was over 250 km/h the speedo numbers started to work. And it works even today. But I'am sure that when next thousand gomes then it stucks again.

It was interesting way to wake up speedo. :devil: But our limit is only 120 km/h (in wintertime 100 km/h), so that can be very expensive way.

The odometer is stucking, needle works normally. So I know my speed. :sofa:

Edited by Jukka

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm gonna re re-awaken this one yet again to see if i can get some clarity as i may have ballsed my original post up a bit!

Baiscally the Speedo on my old mans V8 (which as far as i know is the fully analogue one driven via a cable) is stuck at 20mph when stood (engine on or off), but once on the move- the speedo does kind-of work (it goes up), but it seems to be "over reading" by about 10-15 MPH!

Now what i need to know IS, is there anything that can be done with the current speedo if we remove the dash binnacle and remove the speedo unit (can it be stripped down and possibly repaired!?????), or are these units "unservicable" and will it basically need a new speedo unit to replace this one!??????

Also whilst i'm asking- how big-a job would it be to swap the analogue speedo to a digital unit as in the later cars!?????

My dads is a 98 v8 se btw!!!

If your wondering "Why now- after all this time", well it's only recently that we have started trying to do something withthe Epsrit in an effort to sort it all out!!!!!!

Cheers again- Matt!

Matt, the '98 cars on (with the small half round dash) should have the 'fully electronic' VDO ?! What means no cable driven needle , and no mechanical trip/mile-counter... . Of course, it is well known in the 4-pot scene that the magnet drive on the old cars (what simply pushes the needle) can get loose on the cable. This causes irritations an misreadings later on.. .There should be an DIY-repair link out there in LEW, theLotusforums, or at least the rest of the www.

The impulse signal for the VDO electric speedo is said to come from the ABS wheel-sensor and via the ECU into the dash. But that's an electric thing I haven't tested myself by now... .

Edited by Günter

Matt,

Even if you don't have the newer style dash of the later V8's, you still should have an electronic speedo with no cable. Over here in the states there are a few places that can repair them so you must have some there as well.

Are your gauges VDO or Caerbont?

I doubt there is much you can service on the unit yourself other than checking the wiring connections.

Our car has the earlier dash and the speedo has an analogue odometer built into it- which is WHY i'm assuming the whole speedo unit will be cable driven and NOT electric, but i guess we'll find that out when we remove the instrument pack etc to have a look at it!

Hopefully something can be done! it'll be a right pain in the rear if it needs a new unit!!!!!!!

Wonder if we could convert the dash to the newer rounded binnacle instead of the uglier early version!?, Has that been done?, or is that something that would require a new loom in the car or something!?????

it would require some rework on the wiring loo... and if you don't have an used dash available some serious DIY-work in 'glassfibre' -as the base system in the later dash is made out of GRP too... . By thee way, it was done at least two or more times here in tLF !!

something to read, but of course you can all find it via *forum search* & google..

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lotusespritworld.com%2FEOwners%2FLEWs.html&ei=fFYNTM-BDeqH4gbol4W0AQ&usg=AFQjCNHTwsJaBJ4UcShL6uaFXK-InJmCyg

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ERunning/problems.html

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EMaintenance/Binnacle.html

Edited by Günter

Sorted my Speedo issues out now!:)

Might sound like a total bodge job (it was my cousin that came up with & implemented the idea), but basically all that was done in the end was a small hole was drilled in the perspex front of the speedo itself and then a small needle was poked through and the needle was simply levered back down untill it read zero!

I have checked the speedo since against my satnav and it seems to read spot on too so it looks like it might have worked!

Just need to source a small wee grommet to plug the hole in the gauge window now, and then i'll play the paranoid card for a while n keep the satnav in the car to keep checking the speedo against it, but tbh i'm pretty confident it's sorted! On my previous cars the satnav has consistently read 3mph below what the speedo was showing, and the Esprit seems to be pretty much the same (although at higher speeds the discrepancy seems greater!?)

Still it seems like it's a case of all's well that ends well!

Edited by blue harbour

If it has got a cable I imagine it will pick up from the gearbox (my 88 carb turbo does) and it should be clearly visible if you look under the car