free hit
counters
pertronix ignitor 1 fitting - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tricky12

pertronix ignitor 1 fitting

hi have read several posts on this topic, and after having dizzy problems decided to go this route.

:)

Have now fitted this unit and the car wont start some have said that it wont work with the standard rev limiter and wanted to try with this disconnected.

To disconect the rev limiter do i simply unplug or do i also have to loop any of the wires? ? ? ? :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've sent you a PM but just in case. Just unplug the rev limiter. No rewiring ncessary:)

You could plug it back in after the car's been started but if you stop the engine you need to unplug it to restart...pointless if you ask me!

Just don't hit the rev limits!

Rob

Not off topic - honest!

Richard - subsequent to our telephone chat, you need to be making sure this happens first:

DSCF7735.jpg

DSCF7741.jpg

hi thanks for your time and trouble heres my cam timming

post-4847-1239905340_thumb.jpg

I think we've finally found the problem!

Right - first, get the valve timing correct: loosen the belt tensioner, slip off the belt and resite the cam sprockets so that they align, then refit the belt. Personally, my preference would be to slip the belt off then back the crankshaft off enough to ensure there's no valve/piston interference whilst turning the cams. Get the cams right then bring the crank back round to TDC. Tighten the belt tensioner to specification.

Rotate the engine a couple of times and make sure everything lines up. Recheck belt tension.

Set the crank to 10deg BTDC and set static timing as we discussed. That should give you a baseline for engine start, then let's talk again!

By the way, you also mentioned running out of space rotating the distributor. You might want to resite the auxiliary sprocket to give you a bit more breathing space...

hi Gary cannot thank you enough for your time and trouble especially under your current circumstances. :pirate:

you were spot on, car now starts straight off the button though still need to reset the auxilary shaft to still gain 10 BTDC tried what you said by moving the plug leads round one but the distributer then fouled the throttle linkage, but the more i think about it , it could be me moving them the wrong way "Der" :thumbsup:

Sorry if we seem to have wondered off topic a little but i can now confirm that the Pertronix unit appears to work a treat and with the rev limiter still in place I will still have to do a full road test when timming is fully set.

thanks again

Edited by tricky12

No worries mate! Who fitted that belt, I wonder? Sorry I was comatose when you called, and very happy to hear it's going well. Gissa shout tomorrow if you need to - unfortunately not going to Donny. :thumbsup: