free hit
counters
Spare wheel hold down clamp - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

Spare wheel hold down clamp

I don't know if this is in the right place or not (I preferred it when there was only one topic now I have to scan 5 or 6). Anyway... does anybody have a picture of the clamp used to hold the spare wheel in a series 1 car please?

Thanks in anticipation, Paul.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the reply but it's not what I expected!! I could be wrong but I think yours is missing too :) The one for the series 2 is shaped like a 'T' and goes in the centre of the spare wheel I think?

Cheers, Paul.

Paul,

this is what's holding my spare wheel in place, the rod screws into the chassis and holds the wheel in place/prevent it from moving. (and is a perfect match to the spare wheel tool / wheel nut wrench).

If something is missing I'd sure like to know as well as I'm ubber picky and would loose sleep over it.

I don't know about something going in the center of the spare wheel as I wouldn't know where/what to attach it to :) so that the wheel wouldn't move inside the front compartment.

ATB.

Edited by Hemlock

I was hoping it would be something like this...

dscf0001b.jpg

Hahaha I've just realised what that is... it's a big bolt with a bit of rod welded to the top of it and painted black. Good old Lotus :D

Which possibly goes like this...

dscf0002f.jpg

But I'm just guessing on both counts. The thread is the correct thread for my S1 fixing point though.

Tony K is never around when you want him :)

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

There is a 1978 federal S1 dressed up as a Turbo for sale on ebay US ATM, however in the description I noticed the seller says the following :

QUOTE " The spare wheel for the car has never been taken out of the car. It still has the original DUNLOP tire from the day it left the factory.

bqjubc2kkgrhgookj4ejllm.jpg

I have the original fixing "clamp" of my S2.2, I think it could be different from the early S1, anyway if you want I can take some pics of the part.

Cheers

Giorgio

Thanks all for the replies :) Hmmm... interesting! The 'T' bar I have will not go through one of the wheel nut holes as the rod at the top hits on the wheel so maybe I should just have a big bolt? Mine is an early S1 car (30th one).

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Looks like the 'T' bar was a series 2 variant, I found this...

dscn2180jpg.jpg

Which quite clearly shows the T bar thingy. So it looks like my S1 should just have a bolt!!

Paul.

Hi Guys,

Would someone be able to send me a pic of how the clamp bracket should be mounted to the boot floor?

What is the sticker on the offside inner wheel arch, I just have some residue there.

Probably the one saying its a space saver wheel and don't go too fast.  Sjs have them for sale on their site.  Well they do for later cars.

Hi Guys,

Would someone be able to send me a pic of how the clamp bracket should be mounted to the boot floor?

There's a threaded hole in the boot floor of my '78 S2. I have the same bolt and large washer arrangement as the pic on post #7.

Hi Antonio,

Managed to fit this over the weekend.  I had my clamp plate redone in stainless steel at then zinc plated to match the rest of the car.. 

Mine has the T type holder 

WP_20140510_005_zpsf973ad19.jpg

WP_20140510_006_zpsfb49e6a8.jpg

WP_20140511_002_zps358b6384.jpg

Here is a pic of the clamp rivited underneath the boot floor (Thanks Paul for send me the pic of your car)

WP_20140511_007_zpsd77c0682.jpg

The only time I had to use the spare wheel, it was early in the morning of New Year's Day and the front left had punctured .... the T-bar thingy had corroded solid to the nutplate. I had to wait until Asian owned grocery shop I had stopped by opened, then phone my brother (no mobiles back then!) and we had to tear the thing bodily out of the car and saw through the bolt!!!

Here's mine. I suspect the bolt is not original because it is not rusted like every single other thing made of steel on this car.

I've removed the spare wheel and don't think I'll put it back in. Think I'd rather carry around a sealant kit than that big heavy space-hogging spare wheel. 

14168610115_551410784b_o.jpg

Edited by Freemason

The T bolt is simply a bolt with a round bar welded on the top.. I am sure any engineer would easily be able to replicate it..

If you want I can measure mine up for you Antonio

Thanks but for now I think I'll keep the wheel off. I'd love to fix the rough fibreglass, paint the whole boot and maybe lay down some carpet like this:

front_trunk.jpg

That does look good :)  I did have the base smoothed out slightly .. still not 100% but better than it was :

WP_20140330_010_zps449cc173.jpg