free hit
counters
Mot Blues - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all just after some advice if poss.Car failed MOT.Can i buy new switches .I have a faulty headlamp switch .The hazzard lights work .But failed on no light working on the switch .Head lamps looking worse for ware.Where is the best place to buy all four lights.Iam not any good at trying to fix any of the above items. Thanks for your help Mike S3................

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi

Assuming that they are the same TR7 switches as per our 84 Turbo they are available from Rimmer Bros (or from any scrapyard with a TR7)

I had similar issues with the MOT. I found that by removing the switch wiggling the bulb I got the 'tell tale' on the fog light switch working and by repeated use of the hazard switch got the switch to work (when the MOT tester tried it all he got was one side of the indicators coming on)

I did bid on a headlight switch on e-bay recently (went for about a tenner I think) so they do come up from time to time

Good luck

John

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-TR7-TR8-TVR-...A1%7C240%3A1318

That any good?

Edited by Mr_John111

Thanks for your help John .i was on e bay last night looking making a list .Thanks again.Mike

I managed to fix an S3 headlamp switch apart it by using components from a spare (HRW) switch I had. The problem was that one of the plastic legs in the switch that push to make the connection had deformed slightly and it wasn't making contact. It was not all that diificult to do - believe me I am not usually good at these sort of things

On 18/04/2009 at 00:45, Mr_John111 said:

I found that by removing the switch wiggling the bulb I got the 'tell tale' on the fog light switch working

Ok so my Esprit has one item which its failing the MOT. The tell tale light on the fog light switch!

Fog lights work but not the light on the switch! Never worked as far as I know but I tried a different MOT test centre.

My question is can these switches be removed from the front? If not how to get to the fog light one in the binnacle?

Buddsy

That's utter shite.

im certain thats simply not required due to age of the car.

id be off to another centre 

I think as its electronic MOT once something is flagged it goes to other test centres.

Buddsy

Hope you soon get things sorted.

I dont know if Simon has got as far as looking at switches yet. I will point out this thread to him.

Cannot find front fog lamps mentioned in the tester manual, ask them to advise which section it comes under.

Fail 1b here is only for the mandatiry (if after 1st April 1980)one rear fog http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_130.htm

It's complete bull - I'd challenge them on it frankly - and want to see where in the manual it flags it as a fail.

1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

My question is can these switches be removed from the front? If not how to get to the fog light one in the binnacle?

Buddsy

Hi Scott, 

its a while ago now but I'm pretty sure it was as simple as using a thin bladed screwdriver to prize them out (inserted top and bottom- not the sides) and yes they were removed from the front. When the switch came out it left the wiring plug in the hole 

good luck 

john

Edited by Mr_John111
  • Like 1

You could say the parts are no longer available.  They always question my car at the MOT as the rear left caliper is up side down (two right calipers on my car).  We say the parts are nolonger available and it always passes.  The caliper works fine too.

Thanks @Mr_John111 I will give that ago.

@Mark Blanchard Yes I was wondering about saying its all fixed and hope he trusts me on that one. I also had a fail with the lights not coming up due to a bit of metal clip jamming in the mech (discussed on a different thread) and can understand the fail on that. But for the clip?? on an old car?

Buddsy

@Buddsy - None of the lights on my binnacle switches work since I put the car back on the road (they did before I went abroad), and these have never been mentioned in an MOT. As said above, take it to another MOT centre.

• Like 1

Hi buddsy 

Maybe he had a bad day ifsomething small fails on mine it goes on advisory but my mot man is a lotus owner.

The fog light having a tell tale is a requirement for cars and it not illuminating is a valid reason for a MOT refusal.

1 hour ago, sailorbob said:

The fog light having a tell tale is a requirement for cars and it not illuminating is a valid reason for a MOT refusal.

Yes, but that's the rear fog which are part of the test, front fogs appear (according to the manual)  to not be part of the scope of the test (even if fitted).

I may have missed something but I can't see where the assumption it was the front fog light switch has come from.

My 82 car doesnt have front fog lights so not sure when they were introduced, if it is the fronts.

Rear have to have one working and the tell tale.

Rear fog light is causing some annoyance to some Ferrari 308 owners as some cars were not fitted with them even though they were (and are) legally required for the production year. People are trying to find ways to add one without external change such as building it into the existing rear light.