free hit
counters
2.2 na HC rebuild - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
espritmania

2.2 na HC rebuild

Hi ,I am just fitting new piston rings and the oil rings are how could i say a bit fierce.I spoke to SJ and he has sold over a 100 of these kits with no problem.I am happy with this .I just wanted to know will the rings bed themselves in once the engine is run in.I will need to tow the car to start it for the first time as the starter motor will probably struggle with the tightness of the pistons rings.Has anybody come across this before??Thanks Paul G.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Are you sure the rings end gap clearance is correct and the rings are fitting correctly in the piston grooves with the correct clearance and the pistons themselves have the correct clearance in the sleeves. If all of that correct then you should be OK.

The engine should turn on the starter even after a rebuild, if its so tight that you dont think it will, I would check and check again looking for why it is tight. Rings pressure on the bores should not do that.

cheers

Rohan

I've just fitted a full set of rings from SJ's, along with a new set of liners. They definitely weren't thst tight, I could easily turn the crank over on a spanner. It does sound as though the end gap (ie. the gap between the two mating faces of the ring) is too tight. A way to check is to remove the ring from the piston and slide it in the bore by itself, you can then check the gap with a feeler gauge.

Tony.