free hit
counters
Vacuum Pump - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gumin

Vacuum Pump

My vacuum pump is making a noise, its not loud but it is noticable above the sound of the engine when at idle. There is a vacuum pipe that comes from it down the chassis member to the rear of the car that is open to the atmosphere? When I restrict the open pipe the pump gets quieter. Should it be like this? Or should all the pipes that come from the pump be connected to something? The only noticable symptom is that the heater will not blow air into the footwells only to the screen. The brakes are fine. Anyone got any ideas?

Graeme K

Edited by gumin

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That pipe is the outlet for the air that has been pumped, so restricting it simply reduces the air pressure differential across the pump, thus less noise as less air is moved.

Is the belt OK? if so, try disconnecting the other pipe attached to the pump, run the engine, does the pump generate a vacuum in that pipe? If so, I'd say you have a blocked / colapsed/ leaky pipe / joint on the vacuum system. Alternatively, if it doesn't your pump is knackered (see post by Newts re pump availability)

Hi Andy, thanks for the info, I will have to get under the car again and start checking the connections. Fingers crossed it is only a pipe then. By the way are you still considering coming to Donnington tomorrow?

We're leaving from Thickthorn Services at 7.30am if you want to join us.

The vacuum pump will sound like a goose or a helicopter when it starts to go bad and needs replacement.

Some people put a fuel filter at the end of that outlet tube to make it more quiet.

Yo can test the system to see if it is making enough vacuum..

Found the problem :thumbup: I traced the vacuum hose form the pump into the engine bay off side compartment where I found that the "T" piece where the hose splits for the engine or the heater had the heater hose missing. Had a bit of a rumage found the heater vacuum hose, reconnected and hey presto- the heater works again and the vacuum pump is quiet!

Where is the vacum pump located? as mine sounds like a hooting owl when I turn the interior fan on.

thanks

Bottom of the engine, front left of centre when viewed from behind. The interior fan has nothing to do with the vacuum pump though.

The flaps are controlled by it but they are independent of the fan.

Mice? :thumbup:

^ well that'll be what the owl is feeding on ^

could be your flaps aren't opening quick enough. Is a permanent hoot or just when you initially turn the fan on?

Sound like the flaps are sticking and only opening slowly!! perhaps some lubrication is in order to ensure a smooth speedier operation.

YOU THERE BOY, YES YOU in the corner, stop sniggering boy, this is a serious conversation and not a comedy sketch!!

Hi Chris,

It depends which flap is causing the problem. The one that lets fresh air into the car is situated in the front compartment under the bonnet in a housing attached to the bulkhead (you can see the top of the flap when you raise the bonnet). You just need to remove the plastic shroud which is held on with five screws and you have access to it. The others are a little more tricky to get at as they sit within the heater/blower unit on the cabin side of the bulkhead. I am not sure but I don't think it is a quick job to get at them.