free hit
counters
Steering Wheels - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rodewaryer

Steering Wheels

I scanned quite a few pages in this forum and don't see any topics on replacing the steering wheel. Right off, my car is not bog standard and has a different interior. It's decent and I have no plans to go back to standard. Hence my question on non standard steering wheels. I very much love the nice anatomically designed wheels that are available and even have a reasonably nice Fittipaldi E3 wheel I decided not to use in my Sunbeam. Can this be done to an S1 and where does a person get a steering wheel adapter for these cars? I'll be replacing the shift knob as well, with a Momo since the car has one with a playboy bunny on it (?!) so we're talking personalizing the car a bit, not too much, but a bit. The standard wheel is in awful condition and has an dreadful steering wheel cover on it to hide more awfulness, no doubt. I have the wheel and the shift knob but need an adapter for the wheel. Does anyone here have experience doing this?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is it possible that the later cars (Stevens and later) are different in regards to Steering columns? I have located a couple threads regarding steering wheel replacement and while I didn't track every entry's source, it seems like they could all be Stevens or later cars. It could just be coincidence (or my imagination as well) but I thought it worth asking.

I can speak to the issue of whether or not the steering boss for a Stevens car will work on a G-car, S1. As it turns out, it has nothing to connect to, the cast piece the steering wheel bolts to hasn't anything dimensionally in common with the boss. I got lucky with my Fittipaldi steering wheel, the adapter still attached to it worked in the Esprit. It needed a spacer (approx 1/4") to allow proper fit with the column covers and I'm pleased with the way it looks and works.

cnv2009.jpg