free hit
counters
Rear Caliper Rebuild - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
peteyg

Rear Caliper Rebuild

Hey all,

Am about to attack the rear calipers as it seems one isn't working and the other is working overtime (no pads left and a horrible grinding noise). Can't seem to find a 'HOW TO' in any of the threads so looking for guidance otherwise i'll bumble my way though and make my own 'how to' for all to behold!

Cheers,

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't think there's much to it really, is there? My pistons were corroded and I had them rechromed by Phillpots at Luton (they're hard chrome not normal stuff). New seals, new pads, bosh - job done :)

Mine are also missing the springs which go at the back of the pads and I need to buy some before I can refit them (I only took them off about two years ago....).

You can see the springs (if yours are missing) in this photo...

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

I did mine a while ago now and seem to remember that cranking the handbrake cable lever several times gets the piston out a lot of the way. Once its out as far as the auto adjusting lets it then you twist the piston 45 degrees which releases it from the thread and then it can be pulled out. I think I needed mole grips with soft jaws to do it as the piston will be quite tight. Rebuild seal kits are readily available but I think new anti rattle springs are harder to find.

good luck

Phil

You can undo the three screws holding on the handbrake operating lever from the bottom of the caliper. Then you can withdraw the "threaded" pin for the auto adjustment. You can then get to the back of the piston and push it out.

Here is a picture of the lever assembly and piston.

P1000105.jpg

Thanks guys. They're now off, cleaned up and I've given them a lick of paint for protection rather than aesthetics and a seal kit is on the way. That came apart quite easily and the pistons are in good nick which is nice!

Pete

my handbrake lever is stuck! I have removed the caliper and taken the handbrake lever section off, but not sure how to take the handbrake section apart?