free hit
counters
What's the technique? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What's the technique?

I sat in the driver's seat in my S2 today and it's a bit tight. I'm only 5'10" but when I take my foot off the accelerator and transfer it to the brake the steering wheel is in the way. How the hell am I supposed to drive it? I couldn't replace the steering wheel as it's part of its character. So there must be some kind of technique to compenate for the fact that I'm not under 5' so what is it? Amputation? I presume that Roger Moore who is taller than me only drove 5 yards in the film which meant he didn't have to change gear and then they helped him out as he was about 50 hahaha

I'm also beginning to think that by the time I finish my S1 I will also need helping in and out as i shall be about 50. I'll probably be like the king in his armour who has to be winched on and off his horse :thumbsup:

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 5'11" Paul and I don't have a problem with my right foot/leg, the problem I have is my left leg. When I take my foot off the clutch there is nowhere to rest that foot so I have to put it in front or under the clutch pedal. Thats when my knee interferes with the steering wheel. Seems like the car is designed for people with short legs!

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about the clutch problem as the clutch in the S2 isn't connected (the pin is missing)!!

Maybe I'll take an angle grinder to it and make a bit more room :thumbsup:

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

I'm 5' 9" and fitted in my S2 like a glove. In fact, I pulled the seat forward a notch so it didn't squeak on the leather on the firewall. And I drove in normal shoes. If I wasn't going to change gear for a while, I put my foot under the clutch. I could stretch my leg out pretty straight then.

However, I found it most comfortable to sit with my knees splayed either side of the steering wheel leaning against the tunnel and door. Then you can just swivel your foot from throttle to brake.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I sat in the driver's seat in my S2 today ...

As your profile indicates that the car is "in pieces," Paul, was this exercise in ergonomics accompanied by self-generated vocal engine noises? Be honest now. :)

p.s., As a graduate of the "Europa School of Tight Confines," and being about the same stature as Colin C., I find the Esprit to be downright cavernous!

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I am 6ft, and have size 10 shoes - I find I can only drive it with ease with my narrow trainers. Other than that, no problems getting in and out, and thats with my dodgy back!

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Presumably the S3 is a bit larger inside? I'm 6ft and have no trouble though on longer trips I have to stop every hour and a half as the angle of my accelerator foot gets a bit uncomfy.

Having just done over 3k miles in my Esprit, for the record I am a shade bit over 6'0", I found that my clutch foot would rest on top of my handbrake with quite comfort. I would cycle between the footwell behind the clutch, the wheel arch or the handbrake position. The most mileage I did nonstop, except for fuel, was 1,140 miles. My accelerator foot was the one fatigued more...

Christopher

"I am 6ft..."

"I'm 6ft..."

"I'm 6' 1"..."

"I am a shade bit over 6'0"..."

Shazam! One more and we got the makings of a LEF basketball team! What are they feeding you guys anyway?

I'm 5' 4" about 70 kilos, take size 6 in shoes, I find it very spacious! :cheers: , can't see the bonnet, but I know where it is. :devil:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

And now for the winner....(uhm actually loser)...

I am 6'6".

That is not a typo.

I have to put on special shoes when I drive the SE. That is the least of my problems.

Confesssion time: I am on the brink of selling my beloved, beloved SE, only for the reason that I do not fit in the car. The biggest issue is the space between the tunnel and the steering wheel. My knee, the steering wheel and the tunnel all connects. On a long, straight journey it is ok-ish, but the moment I have to actually steer the car, it is impossible. Without power-steering and free hand movement around the wheel...well I think you get the picture. It is only the addiction to this dream-car which has me hanging on.

AAAaaaaaarrggghhh! I am so in love. But oh God, frustrated....

So you don't have any problems with your left leg stretching to get the clutch fully out ? Have you tried a smaller steering wheel?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Ah, you see, it is a left-hooker. So my right leg is the issue.

The bent of my leg means my knee portrudes way above (about 5 inches) 'above' the steering wheel locked between the wheel and transmission tunnel. Imagine an adult in a go-cart and you get the picture. If this was RHD, there would be no way I would be able to drive it. A normal person's knee is below the wheel, because the leg is more straight, so there is no problem.

I did investigate a smaller steering wheel, even off-centre - it is no use. My entire hand would need to fit between the wheel and my knee - no such a tiny steering wheel exists.

I am going to Lake Como for the Concorso D'Eleganza this weekend with the Lotus. I will have to make up my mind when I return. My wife will probably wonder why there are tears in my eyes.

Never before have I loved a car so much. But it is agony.

5ft 8inches size 8 feet no problem fit like a glove.

you could try fitting different pedals to see if you can gain a bit of spacing i did this to mine as the rubbers were well worn and even the extra inch or so i gained by slightly ofsetting the accelerator and clutch made a big difference, cant see how you tall people get in and drive them got the pedals from superdave

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Hold it fellas, I've got an idea.............surgery, surely LEF could arrange for "leg shortening". with a good discount, I am kidding, no need - for I'll do at

Hi Paul I would have thought you would be ok at that height? Some people take spacers/rails out underneath and bolt straight to the floor for that extra room - a bit drastic but if your desperate to fit in you do what you can. As said little narrow shoes are a must too.

Good luck :cheers:

350.gifNo.23

Hey, wait just a minute...

I'm also beginning to think that by the time I finish my S1 I will also need helping in and out as i shall be about 50. I'll probably be like the king in his armour who has to be winched on and off his horse

I'm not especially tall, and I'm not especially large, but I am over 50.

Nevertheless, I have no trouble contorting myself sufficiently to get in and out of my Esprit.

:cheers:

So please, there is life after 50!

OK, Paul (and you, too, Entienne! no need to sell!), I got this all figured out.

Remove the brake and clutch pedal assembly, as well as the accelerator pedal. Footwell is now completely clear of obstructions.

Repostition steering wheel on passenger side of car (important! ensure new location is reconnected to steering rack!). "Cant" at slight angle toward driver's side for ease of use. Install "Brodie knob" on steering wheel. Upgrade car to power assisted steering.

Modify a BMW "SMG" (or other suitable marque, F1 if have deep pockets) transmission to fit the Esprit. Install paddle shifters on driver's side armrest. Position to taste.

Route accelerator linkage to roof mounted pivot point and attach vertical lever so as to rest directly in front of nose. Do same for brake pedal linkage.

Visit local tattoo parlour to have nose ring put in.

Devise appropriate "quick release" clip on accelerator/brake linkage(s) lever. Attach to nose ring. Nod head forward to accelerate, rearward to brake.

Proceed to enjoy newfound leg, knee, and arm room! :cheers:

Hey you youngies. Apart from being close to 6 foot tall, I may be one of the oldest on the forum weighing in at 65 years.

The only problems I find with driving the Esprit is that I also have to wear plimpsoles or takkies, as we call them over here, and my right knee flops around as there in no close support to lean it against.

Apart from that, I love every minute of driving them. The wind noise, the rattles and even the turbo whine.

Oh yes, this oldie has just purchased a Lotus Super 7. Will post pics soon.

Hey, wait just a minute...

I'm not especially tall, and I'm not especially large, but I am over 50.

Nevertheless, I have no trouble contorting myself sufficiently to get in and out of my Esprit.

:thumbup:

So please, there is life after 50!

Yes but you don't have my back!!

Paul.