free hit
counters
G-car Chassis/body separation - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
yeller77

G-car Chassis/body separation

As my planned engine/tranny rebuild is looking more and more like a restoration, I'm now toying with the idea of separating the chassis to satisfactorily refinish it and rebuild the components with seeming greater ease. For all those who've un-mated/re-mated, is there a step-by-step wiki? Tips? Hardest steps to get by? I'm going to keep the body in a second location, what's the best/safest way to transport and secure on a trailer without risking cracks, popping glass out, etc.? Thanks, Mates!

:) to those who've gone before! :lol:

Eric

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Eric,

It's a big job.

My S2.2 has a little different chassis mounting points to the body but anyway you need to:

1 disconnet all the fuel pipes (fuel pump is attached to the body under the passenger seat)

2 disconnett all the water pipes (through chassisn holes) to the engine

3 Remove the fuel tanks connection to body

4 Remove all the electrical wires, everything between body and chassis (engine/lights/motor etc...)

5 Remove dash/gauges

6 Remove steering wheel, then

7 Remove pedal box

8 Remove doors, boot lid, rear bonnet (better to have a lighter body)

9 Remove seats, carpets and gearchange/chassis trim tunnel

10 Remove the (s2.2) 4 bolts in the tunnel (2 for side)

11 Remove the 2 bolts in the pedal box area (one for side)

12 REMOVE THE SEAT BELTS BOLTS

13 Remove the 2 bolts in the wheelarcher area (inside the car) (suspension bolts)

14 Remove the 2 bolts in the front boot lid area

15 " " the 3 bolts in the rear section of the chassis, in the engine bay and the bulkhead bolts (firewall fixing)

16 " " the steering column and the UJ joints (hard job)

17 " " the gear linkage assembly and the crossgate cable

18 " " the front radiator and rad fan assembly (drain it first)

19 " " the brake servo/master cylinder assembly

20 disconnet the brake lines and push away them from the body in the front boot area

21 Any parts connected between body and chassis must be removed/disconneted

A wood trailer under the body will be good but you need four man to lift the body out of chassis.

The "point" for the lifting procedure is quite high so better to remove the carbs assembly from the engine.

There are for sure some other little things... I will think about that.

For the moment, hope this help.

Good luck

Ciao

Giorgio

Edited by ghe67

Thanks Giorgio! Engine and trans are already out along with the radiator and the front suspension is already (mostly) dismantled with the car up so I'm looking at disconnecting the mounting points and dropping the chassis down on a jack or two. It may not mirror the reassembly. I'll have to make a dolly for the body and maybe one for the chassis.

Any ideas how much the bare chassis (no drivetrain or suspension) weighs? Can 2 people lift and move it around?

BTW, your detailed restoration threads have been most helpful! :)

Thanks!

Eric

Yes Eric, two people can lift the chassis without too much trouble although my wife is getting a little sick of it!!

The hardest job I found was 16 on Giorgio's list - removing the steering u/j off the rack... it took me hours. I had a cold chisel in the split of the u/j (the bit that the bolt pinches together) and the fact that the bolt had been on very tightly PLUS the rust meant it was a pig of a job. The problem is the lack of access (there was no room to swing the hammer) and every time I hit the end of the chisel it moved so I had to realign it every time.

Not the most pleasant few hours of my life :)

Cheers, Paul.

..... I thought the pedal box removal was the worst bit.... lying upside down in the footwell with no access.

I kept the doors on and took the whole car on a trailer to my local garage who removed the body with their 4 post lift. I then trailered the chassis back home offloaded it and went back to the garage for the body with a frame made of scaffolding on the trailer to lower in onto.

Phil

The toughest job I found was the pedal box.

Whoever had that job in the factory should be nominated for Sainthood.

I found the easiest way to do this was to cut a small spanner in half - that gave enough room to move.

The toughest job I found was the pedal box.

Whoever had that job in the factory should be nominated for Sainthood.

I found the easiest way to do this was to cut a small spanner in half - that gave enough room to move.

Ah, yet another of the unofficial "Lotus Special Tools." :devil:

Hm. Now the "bare chassis avatars" come out. Maybe this needs to be a secret society! :cheers: