free hit
counters
rust and Sh*te in my tank - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mangel

rust and Sh*te in my tank

Short of taking them out, any suggestions.

I'm at the end of my tether really, car still not running right, it would appear my tanks are rusting inside and its passing through to my injectors.

Its had second hand newish tanks, new injector, new coils the lot!!!

Any suggestions?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

mangle did you put a different earth on the coils as mine was not right until i put a another earth on them, i looped a wire between the bottom bolts on the coils which earths them and then ran the wire else where to earth it that way they both should be fine, i have used magnets to get rust out of tanks before, but be careful if doing this.

yeah earths done, its deffo blocked injectors, I have emptied them and they're full of crap.

I'll try the magnet thing and just keep pumping the fuel through!!!

I've used the one from Frost, POR15, can verify it works well as a sealer, so should stop the rust forming, but agree the filter should stop all that getting through anyway.

Andy

will get and change the filter and empty the injectors again next weekend.

I'm away this weekend unfortunately

You really should be running a fuel filter before the injectors even with clean tanks as the injector spray pattern will even easily be messed up with debris you can hardly see.

Something like this in the line between the fuel pump outlet and the fuel rail will work.

eBay item #350115053278

Make sure what ever you get is a metal filter as it will be running a 3bar (45 psi)

However, you need to get your tanks sorted, because if they are as bad as you say, then it will block any filter in short order.

Hilly

As Hilly says defo get a decent metal pre filter, as for you not wanting to remove the tanks all I can suggest is remove the fuel filler neck pipe and use one of those xtendable magnet pen stick things and go fishing for rust, have done this on the old vw tanks but with the sender unit removed on those you can see a lot more, Other wise drain the tanks and flush in situ!

regards danny

One thing to keep in mind is if there is that much rust inside the tanks, then they are probably not far from leaking and you'll be pulling them anyway...

As ever cheers for all the help guys, I'm not at the light a match stage yet so will carry out your ideas.

Hi Jim,

Yeah I here what you say but trying to avoid going down that route for a while yet. This is my second set of tanks so far. I wish someone had done an injection molded ABS pair. Bet the tooling required would cost too much though.

Cheers All

Alloy tanks, hilly has them fitted to his and should be able to give you an idea of the price! Al least when they done you dont have to worry again

quite cost effective in the long run I should imagine

Regards danny

I fitted alloy tanks to the Mutant for this very reason as sorting out corrosion problem on the tanks is a right pain, especially now that the Audi engine is in there.

The alloy tanks fitted to mine are for Gcars only, they won't have the swirl pot built into the bottom which you need for an injected car.

I got mine from SJS about 5 years ago,

*UPDATE*

Well it was a hose blown off on the the pressurized side of the turbo.

Still got Engine management light though, time for free scan me thinks!!!