free hit
counters
Taking the CAT out of the Car - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Freeman

Taking the CAT out of the Car

Hi all, I took the CAT of my 1990 SE some time ago ( nice 4 port almost straight tho thingy) and left the vacuum tube "open to air " for some time. More recently a fit of insanity I blocked the solenoid off using a plug piece of pipe thinking this was "better" no ingress of dirt etc.

Anyway, possibly by coincidence I have had a engine check light (code 26) come up and stay up. This includes a blown fuse for the cat vacuum solenoid). SPARKY, bless him has spent a number of hours recently trying to cure my code 26, last night following an hour and a halfs checking and testing, making minor changes etc (Check light still on) a thought occoured, if the solenoid that used to feed the CAT needs to operate fully, ie as if cat were fitted - full stroke as it were, then if its blocked like mine would it restrict the solenoid causing a blown fuse. To my and sparkys amazement I pulled the pipe off (venting it to free air) and hey presto the check light no longer comes on.

So my question if anyone can help. - If you have decatted your car, what did you do with the vacuum pipe coming from the solenoid

a ) Just leave it hanging

b ) Plug it off at the solenoid

so then the question is, if you have blanked it off does your car have a problem with code 26.

This cure has not been proven, but I am curious if anyone else has had the same symptoms, lack of power, hesitation and or blown fuses.

Look forward to any comments

Dave Freeman - Pubic hair

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just out of curiosity, why did you leave the vacuum line disconnected off of the solenoid? If we are talking about the wastegate solenoid, you realize that basically renders the turbo useless?

I have not had a cat in my 89 turbo for a few years now and am not experiencing the issues you have described.

Al

Sorry, what I meant was the vacum pipe which normally fits onto the cat, it closers the cat until its warmed up. Then it opens once the engine is warm. - I think.

Dave

Bear with me on this, are you refering to the vacuum line that was connected to the valve that is in-line of the exhaust? I believe that would be the EBP valve? A nasty cast iron bit that is there for cold start up? If that's the case then it should have no effect on the running of the car. I chucked mine as soon as I heard it was not really useful and just a lump of dead weight. The vacuum line was then just blanked off.

Hope that helps.

Al

You can remove all of the vacuum hose that was attached to the EBPV, then plug it at the source to prevent a vacuum leak. This is not engine vacuum, but pump vacuum, also required for the brake booster and heater controls, so a leak is not a good idea.

The solenoid needs to remain electrically attached, but no hoses need be present.

Thanks guys, still a bit puzzled. Yes I do mean the EPBV, so it looks possible that the check light going off may well be coincidence.

I'll keep u updated.

Thanks agian

Dave

Dave, I also have a delet Cat pipe from SJ's and I've removed the EBVP also. I pluged the pipe and also disconnected my trottle Jack and pluged it at source, because my car was reving high on startup sometimes because I had no EBVP connected to the exhaust...

Cheers

Felix

Thanks guys, still a bit puzzled. Yes I do mean the EPBV, so it looks possible that the check light going off may well be coincidence.

I doubt it's a coincidence, it's because you blew the solenoid fuse.