free hit
counters
Carbs rebuild - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
giorgio67

Carbs rebuild

Hi guys,

I'm starting to rebuild my Dhla carbs, that were in good working order.

I have not any previous experience about that so any tips and advice are welcome.

I have bought the full servive kit from Eurocarbs but I'd like to know if there are some parts that MUST BE changed in any case in the procedure.

The bigsi pics have been deleted.....so any guide will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Ciao

Giorgio

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Giorgio

Have you got the book...

How to Build & Power Tune Weber & Dellorto DCOE & DHLA Carburettors (Speedpro) (Paperback)

by Des Hammill

Might be worth getting if you don't already have it.

Paul.

hi

Also have a look in the restoration room, Carb turbo make over.

I recently did my carbs and its not too bad to do. Just work on one carb first then if you are unsure about something you can use the other as a reference if your a bit unsure about where or how something goes back.

Good luck Richard

Let us know how you get on Giorgio - I still have mine to do and I'm not looking forwartd to it :cheers:

I think the thing is to get a lot of small plastic bags and number each part as you dismantle it according to the exploded drawing of the carb in the book. The book seems pretty good so I'm hoping it's going to guide me through it...

Cheers, Paul.

Giorgio & Paul,

It's not a difficult job. I did mine last year. You've got 'the book' and it's a great guide. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine. I've got a bunch of pics from my rebuild if you need any reference, just shout!

Pete

HI guys,

just some pics of the initial rebuild.

A good cleaning job and a first polishing....and wow :(

Replaced all the oring, gasket and I'm waiting for some other parts.

Just a question:

where are connected the two earth wire on the cerbs?...I don't remember... :cheers:

Thanks

Ciao

Giorgio

42804626.jpg

e4665ba8.jpg

54da2a71.jpg

01d31c5b.jpg

6a5957c7.jpg

85387a6d.jpg

edf9f1a3.jpg

Edited by ghe67

You're only polishing them because they were made in Italy :cheers:

Cheers, Paul.

Looking really good Giorgio!!

Ive been doing mine at the moment and I had some real hassle with the ruber gaskets that are on the turbo cars. Any how I bought some of the special Carb cleaner in an areosol can. It was quite cheap

I was working on the bottom of the carb and.......found a broken rod (butterfly assembly) :) so just ordered 150 Gbp of new parts for the two carbs and now it's time to start a true rebuilt!!!

Spindle, bearing, shaft and everything is now disassembled.

I was just thinking about that...a rebuilt kit? just new gaskets and rings?

NOOOOO not for me!! :)

New pics soon.

Ciao

Giorgio

f13a34ac.jpg

aefa367f.jpg

cab4b7a9.jpg

Hi guys,

I was looking at my inlet manifold to polish it and to prepare the mounting spacers for the carbs.

I have bought the Misab kit but I'd like to know if some other members have experience with these parts as frankly I don't like how they work, in my opinion the original spacers with separate o-rings are much better.

Any advice?

The original are better shaped and the cones going into the manifold are really useful against air leaks...

Just to know if there are some problems using the Misab assembly, but maybe I prefer to fit the original fitment.

Other question...on the part list the inlet Manifold is marked as B907E0123K and you can see in the middle of it the threaded hole for the temperature transmitter, but mine is marked C907E0123K, so the prefix letter suggest an improvement...but I have not any mounting hole in the centre for the temperature sender and I don't rembember where is fitted..maybe on some alloy pipes...???

Again on the two sides of the manifold there are two threaded holes for the union vacuum connection, but on the manual only one is reported...so I'm a little bit confused about the connections.

Does anyone can explain these questions?

It will be good to see some pics also..

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Giorgio

62ad0b8a.jpg

d9219723.jpg

HI Buddsy,

I don't think the NA were fitted with anti reversion plates, they are not reported on the part list.

What you can see are the originl spacers and separate O-rings, so the Misab kit are the "modern" version of the spacer plates.

Take a look http://www.rdent.com/manuals/index.html

I'm wrong ?

Thanks

Giorgio

Your old parts in your pics look much more like the anti reversion pates that are in my car. I cant make head nor tail of that parts list! Have you not got the lotus one down loaded from LEW?

I just looked at the parts list on LEW and you have Adaptor Flanges! I personally would buy new o rings and keep the flanges!

Buddsy,

I have two copy of the original manual and part list, also for the S3 and turbo version.

If the adptor flanges are the same thing of the Anti reversion plates...yes I have them but...the Misab kit are sold as a BETTER replacement for these plates/flanges.

My doubts are only to be sure that they wil work well...as they don't like me very much.

No members with Misab experiences? :)

Cheers

Giorgio

The 'O' rings come as part of the head gasket set...I'd simply fit the new ones to the aluminium plates, the 'O' rings pull straight out. Be VERY careful if you are trying to change the carb spindle, I think it's the one task that can easily lead to scrapped carburetters, collateral damage caused by trying to remove the spindle. A lot of this stuff is best left alone; you can cause yourself a world of heartache by interfering with something that's already working!! Ask me how I know........!

Misab kit are sold as a BETTER replacement for these plates/flanges.

Yea? SOLD maybe the key word? I dont know but I would think the solid ally spacer is as good as you can get

Buddsy

Buddsy,

I think the same..... :)

Just ordered new original o-ring from Sj...

Thanks

Giorgio

Edited by ghe67

HI Guys,

just received the new parts from Eurocarb.

The rebuilt is nearly finished, very easy and interesting especially the spindle assembly.

It's very difficoult to get a perfect closing butterfly assembly, so when you are tighting the two nuts on the sides of the carbs, you need to check very careful and every step the butterfly to see if they are correctly setted.

Just a little tight more on one nut and you will end with a non working assembly.

Anyway , they are coming very well!!!

Just some pics of the job done.

Soon, finished pair with polished manifold mounted. :animier:

Ciaoo

Giorgio

7914300c.jpg

f92a9c33.jpg

d02e8af6.jpg

e7ccc418.jpg

34ac286d.jpg

41d9469f.jpg

Nice work!

Mine are just about at the same stage. I noticed my butterfly dont have the progression slots like your or as in the book by Des Hamil. Is it because mine is a turbo do you think?

Buddsy

Oh oh oh I just got a few bits of the carbs back from the platers! As the old gold zinc passervate finnish was looking a bit tired and all my new screws are now silver I had some of the other bits re done and they lookin really bling! Good old Norfolk Zinc Platers!!

IMG_0009.jpg

Buddsy :animier:

Edited by Buddsy

Hahaha my casting are not as polished as your though, maybe I will have a go at them. I did buy some carb renew paint from Frosts but to be honest I dont think I want to use it, I just dont like the idea of paint on carbs

Giorgio

Did you find out where the earth wires go to in the end? I have the same problem lol

Also when you added the accelerator pump assy on the bottom and you connected the arm back on the spindle with the spring I don