free hit
counters
radiators - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
karluk29

radiators

really easy question for the ppl that know the answer:-

the GT3 has 3 rads, ac / cc / normal, all bolted together. am i right in thinking the

normal rad part of the 3 is the same as any rad from say 1983 onwards? just that

SJ is quoting the same part numbers for the all?

im still trying to find which rad is leaking LOL, and its LEAKING 3miles 4litres on the road ooppss

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Adrian Heath might be able to help. He's just changed the rad on his GT3 himself and may have some words of wisdom.

I've got to say I've never had to change a rad on an Esprit, but when I've done it on other cars its normally been cheaper to recore your existing one. Then you know it'll fit!

its pretty straight forward taking it out just time consuming. getting it past the oil coolers it the tricky part, you can undo the inside bolts and turn them(so you dont have to take them off) the bit i found the worst was the bottom hose and jubilee clip (and picking the whole thing up and getting it place so i could bolt it up) get someone to help and it would be much easier and quicker.

Hi,

I just removed my rads today.

I actually wanted to replace a broken spot light on my S4s.

I then notice some oil dripping down from the front left wheel arch.

It ended up been a fecked oil cooler, so I decided to remove the rads etc.

While trying to remove the above, I broke 75% of the rusty bolts, even using wd40.

I could not undo the pipe work from the oil cooler, the joints ended up snapping off, as you can see in photo below.

I plan to replace my knacker Radiator with an alloy one which I hope to get custom made, aroung

post-1142-1240351594_thumb.jpg

post-1142-1240351634_thumb.jpg

post-1142-1240351706_thumb.jpg

post-1142-1240351751_thumb.jpg

post-1142-1240351923_thumb.jpg

post-1142-1240351945_thumb.jpg

post-1142-1240352503_thumb.jpg

thanx guys

i will forward all the info from here to my mate (mech), he is going love me by the sounds of it LOL

might also look into a recore?

after replacing its worth checking the alloy charge cooler pipes as the front wheel can wear into these on full lock if not put back just right just look in the wheelarch on the passenger side

Speak to Geoff at Esprit engineering - he does a 3 core rad (1 extra litre in the rad capacity)

He also makes a stainless frame and new fans - I got the whole kit and kaboodle and was well happy with it.

IMO the rads tend to fail becuase of the clogging - see excellent pictures above.

Once the fins block up you dont get air through them and the difference in temp can stress the metal over time.

The new design I and a few of the guys did allows you to get easier access to cleaning the fins.

BTW instead of replacing the ali pipes you can just put a hose joiner on there and rubber pipe it, much cheaper.

Hi. Ppl

It's the main rad 100%. But the rad I have been offered is off a older stevens. A na/turbo version. Thing is the inlet pipes going into the rad seem to be come off the side at 90 degrees. But the gt3 one comes strigtt out. Will this fit? Problem is I have to sort it all by Sunday morning really. Help help

glad you got the recore sorted Karl, if you have any trouble getting it let me know as he's only a 10min drive from me. also check the horns as they will be full of water and crap, cheap to replace and easy to get at at the moment

david.

I'm just putting one of the combined air con/ charge cooler ones in to replace the single one that was used for my charge cooler, and using both as charge cooler in the same way as the sport 300.

it's worth considering instead of the ali one.

Well the guy has it and for info in the future this is a breakdown (well sort of I'm no mechanic):-

Rad recore was

Edited by karluk29