free hit
counters
Gutting the cat - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
davegtst

Gutting the cat

I'm getting a new exhaust soon and just wondered while i'm under there is it worth taking the cat pipe off and gutting it? I've done this before on other cars and i haven't really noticed any difference but all cars are different. Is it worth smashing out the middle?(can't stretch to a bypass pipe atm) How are people getting on at the MOT? Mine is a 1990 SE so it should be exempt from a cat test.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pull the pipe, break up the internal matrix with a hammer and long screwdriver and pull out the pieces.

I did mine a few years ago and can't really say I could tell a radical difference at the time. I've since replaced the exhaust system with a catless Quicksilver exhaust.

MOT shouldn't be a problem. Mine gets through fine. Difficult to say how much difference a decat makes on its own as like most I changed the whole exhaust. You will definately get the odd pop and bang without it.

Hi Dave

When you picked up the wheels did I not give you a demo of mine.

114db as clocked at Castle Coombe last year.

Bang bang pop pop and 3 foot flames hehehe!!!

Its noticeable on acceleration as no turbo lag at all and engine freerevs. Admittedly my head is gas flowed and running highlift cams. To be honest I only use the standard set up with Cat for MOT. If I keep the standard setup on it'll eat my Turbo.

If your at Coombe this year will show you the setup in more detail.

Waynef

I ran an empty Cat with Stock exhaust for a while - Still the usual crap sound

Then upgrade to SJ S/S Sports Exhaust with Empty Cat - Very nice sounding exhaust.

Then upgraded to a proper de/cat with SJ S/S Sports Exhaust - much louder but still the same overall sound.

Personally, I preferred the empty Cat and Sports Exhaust rather than the de-cat and Sports Exhaust. The noise level difference with the hallow cat was quite surprising.

Hallow out your cat if its on its way out - even if you cant feel it - it will be helping the free flow of your exhaust.

Edited by CarlC

dave

i've done it with a SE '90

don't take out anything

yust move in a pipe and weld it in there

it will cost you zip

i really felt an improvement with torque (have a larini fitted too)

the sound is unbelievable

was tolarated on the track before but after this operation i allways had to lift on 2 places or had to go

but would do it again if i hadn't bought a Tuscan with CCC's (let's make some noise)

rens