free hit
counters
ticking sound - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
paulbutvila

ticking sound

Anyone come across this problem...on my brake master, at the bottom there is a hose that apparently has a survo there. Well, it is ticking.It ticks when the engine is runnig. What's up with that? I'm waiting for someone to say.."your car will self destruct in " 10, 9,8...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Moved to G Tech room.

Does the ticking change speed if you rev the engine? If so sounds like a vacuum air leak to me. Check the integrity of all the pipes and connections. This happened on mine where just by following the noise it lead to a large hole on the engine vacuum take off pipe. Another symptom I had was reduced brake assistance.

YOUR CAR IS ABOUT TO SELF DESTRUCT!!

Sorry. Most likely cause is as Mat says, the servo non return valve. Replacing it is a fiddly but not a drastic job. They're about

I'm tempted to say the non-return valve may be OK, but it is th item that is ticking due to the servo selas leaking causing there to be air to move with each engine induction pul, thus the valve is opening and closing a lot.

Thanks guys I will look into that. Here is another question possibly related...In almosr any gear when I am running down the road at about 5000rpm my engine just dies (loss of power )Once I drop a gear thus dropping the rpm I regain power instantly again up to that dreaded 5000 or so rpm. No, there is no rev limiter.

If it is an induction vacuum leak then the mixture going into the engine will be affected. It could be leaning out at higher revs.

In the workshop manual pgJ2 hose #20 refered to as "Hose,Servo to bundy" where does it go from there? I'm trying to track down a possible vac. leak.

It's worth checking the servo and non-return valve in one.

Disconnect the pipe at the valve end, and use a short length of pipe to allow you to suck it until you can get no more air out. leave it a few seconds, try to repeat.

Did air come out?

Yes = problem at servo / valve

No= put it back together and repeat at manifold end of set-up.

If still No, then the system is OK, but don't know what the ticking is.