free hit
counters
Sat Nav - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Sat Nav

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use to use the navman which was good. Swapped to TOM TOM 930 with traffic (now the 940) which is really good. Has saved me loads of time by avoiding problems ahead.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.ph...&Language=1

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I had a 23 month old TomTom One Europe, well looked after, hardly used.

The on / off switch is now broken, and as its not worth repairing, its going to be boxed, wrapped, and given to a good friend as a nice present.

I would not recommend a TomTom...

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

I use a Garmin Nuvi. Went for it originally as its a slim case so when you take it out of the car it's easier on the pocket. Been very pleased with it, and it came with a free FM aerial traffic service and lifetime subscription.

You can also upload off the internet as others have mentioned with Tom Toms.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

TomTom are very good but they dont (or didnt used to anyway) supply a mains charger as standard. I have a TomTom XL and if it's not fully charged it will not always turn on without a reset. Give it a full charge and its fine. I would still recommend it though.

Got a Garmin Nuvi for my younger son at Christmas, and he seems quite happy with it. Garmin and Tom Tom are both major brands of GPS, and probably the most popular, and they are competitive featurewise. I would recommend getting a model with the rectangular (as opposed to square) screen and "speech." (tho by now they may all have that?)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I have Tom Tom Xl Europe which is great both here and Abroad.

I would recommed on of the TOM TOM go range though as they also have built in Blue Tooth phone connection for hands free.

Two gadgets for the price of one.

I'm sure there will be TomTom for iPhone in a couple of months. That will make the iPhone the most perfect device evah :yes:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

well, till it breaks..........or you loose it!!!

Then what will tell you where you are going? what you are doing next week?

where you are? when people are joining you? Where these people live? what

they look like? how long it will take to get to their house? what their house looks

like from the air? what music they like? what music you like? Whats on telly? or

at the cinema? where's the nearest indian? where is the taxi rank? what the kid

you wnet to primary school with has set for his mood today?

Personally i manage without a 'life compass' Iphone, but you are right Toby, the

folk i know that get them out just to answer the simplest of questions, would be

lost.

:P

My Sat Nav (back on topic) is the original tom tom Go, with original map from

five years ago!!! Still gets me everywhere, very reliable, very tough (dropped

many times). Cost new five times the price what a better Tom tom costs today,

but the fact its been so reliable would make me go for that brand again deffo.

:yes:

Navman F20 with the optional T1 Traffic Pack ( FM ariel, lifetime subscription to road traffic alerts)

Very good except always wants to get you on a motorway when some major A roads are obviously the quicker route.

Big display v good

Still a satified customer.

Probably has better AI for the newer models.

Was cheaper that tom tom so good value, but i hear better things about tom toms

Have a built-in unit in the BMW & Mini, but due to my extensive travel and use of rental cars both here in the US and on the continent I bought a Tom Tom 920 a year or so ago and its been fine except for one software update snafu from Tom Tom that left it slower than a pig in molasses. All fixed now and its been a keeper!

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Had a Tomtom 910 which was great (successfully got us back to the hotel via some tracks round a field when a key bridge in a village was closed in Germany one trip!) but it broke unrepairably within 18 months (motherboard shot).

Got a Tomtom XL Europe. It was (comparatively) cheap and has all of the features that I actually used on the 910 and none that I didn't. I have had the "traffic" option on both, but its never really worked for me so I dont bother with it now.

Got an in car thing (BMW origin) on the Range Rover. Compared to the Tomtom its crap, and an updated map disc cost me

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Anybody else with a sufficiently deviant streak like to play "mind games" with their GPS by ignoring its instructions just to see what it does? :yes:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Anybody else with a sufficiently deviant streak like to play "mind games" with their GPS by ignoring its instructions just to see what it does? :yes:

Always!

:P

We left the motorway on the way to donnington to do 40 or so miles cross country

as it was very early in the morning and roads would be clear. I like it going nuts and

telling you to do U turns and that. The bit i like is when it finally puts out and shows the

road ahead as your route.

Lol. I get comments like - Don't be cruel, leave it alone, and even, don't try to deliberately annoy it! from the Mrs :P

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

The top of the range music playing hot drinking serving sat nav from TomTom must be about

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Agree you seem to pay a fortune for fitting it into the dash and its old tech. Just plain daft if you ask me

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I have a factory fitted one in the Astra and it does have some good facilities that the likes of TomTom don't:

It gets traffic info automatically using TPS (broadcast via the radio) - no subscription needed.

It is linked to the car computer so when I run short of fuel it pops up a message to refuel and would I like guidance to the nearest petrol station.

I also have a very old TomTom one which I use in the Lotus.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350