free hit
counters
Clutch problem on '82 Esprit S3 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sdoyle

Clutch problem on '82 Esprit S3

I have an '82 Esprit S3.

When the car/engine is cold the clutch works ok. When the car gets hot the 'slack' on the clutch pedal disappears,

it stills works ok, ie does not slip and changes gears ok. A braided pipe has been fitted, the system bleed.

Any advice.

Many thanks

Sean.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

MMMMMMMMMMMM. The fact that you have a braided clutch fluid lines rules out the old red hose sydrome! And the fact that you have said that the system is air free means you must changed the fluid recently, The clutch plate and diafram should make no difference been hot or cold it either engages or not, I personally would try the slave cylinder, you can purchase recondtion kits for these but it may be worth while buying a new one, as its the nearest to some form of heat source, maybe the seals are affected when the temprature rises! If that does not work as a last resort try the clutch master cylinder

Regards Danny

I'd say (as Dan states the usual suspects are ruled out) it;s worth looking at clutch adjustment, early cars were set with a defined bolt protrusion, later cars were specced to adjust this to give better clutch later in the clutch life, it may be best to treat the '82 as a later car and adjust that protrusion slightly.

I'm a bit lost. Is there a problem? It's got some slack when cold but not when warm but it works perfectly, sounds ok to me! :yes:

I would check the adjustment at the slave cylinder, making sure it is at factory spec.

Jeff