free hit
counters
leather interior - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pete

leather interior

leather appears to have been treated with a water based dye and has now gone hard and brittle .Is there any way to restore the leather now

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pete,

As long as the leather has not been coated it can be restored.

I think Nick Fulcher told us that from about 1987 the UK Government decided that lead based paints were too dangerous for us. So from that point on leather had to be painted with water based paints. These paints then had to be covered with a sealant to stop the paint rubbing off.

If yours is pre-1987 then you can restore it. If it's post 87, you can't get through the sealant so you can only really strip away the existing leather and replace it with new.

There's a quite a few leather products out there that will clean and restore. Do a search and see what comes up

I would have thought you could clean the leather with SEM soap. it has abrassive, qualities. When I recoloured my interior I had to clean the surface with this, to remove grease and key the surface. And then you could feed the leather and recoat. If you dont remove the sealent on the surface the feed will not get in the hide.

Gaham.

Oh so close, it was cellulose based that were banned for interiors, and Lotus swapped in 1990. As you've said if the leather is hard then it needs feeding but if it's coated with a water based system and a sealant then it's not going to get to it.

Pete

The problem is that when you strip off the sealant you'll end up having to fee the leather then have it re-coloured.

if you want you could repeat what somebody has already done, simply use water based stuff, or once it's all off and you've fed it, get Nick to re-colour it with original dye which will allow the hide food to soak in.