free hit
counters
National Geographic - Britain's Greatest Machines - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bazza 907

National Geographic - Britain's Greatest Machines

Yesterday I took the Essex up to the factory as I'd had a request from Lotus via our Leader Bibs.

The Discovery Channel are making a documentary about developments made in the 1950's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

The 1980's one is about the use of composites and Turbo's - hence the request.

I spent the whole day at the factory and was looked after by the film crew and Lotus PR guys who were great. The presenter was a guy called Chris Barrie of Red Dwarf fame (I've never seen it but it's cult status apparently). He was a great bloke, very down to earth driving a 1980's Jag XJ6 despite obviously being worth more than a few bob.

After static shots around the car and the fitting of cameras and sound equipment Chris and Lotus legend Roger Becker took the Essex for blasts round the test track. It may be a few years since Roger drove the white Esprit in The Spy How Loved Me but hasn't forgot how to spank an Esprit within an inch of its life. Great to watch but I must admit wondering if the 29 year old car would cope with it.

Fortunately it survived without dumping any fluids and finally I had to do some high speed laps with the film crew standing dangerously close to the apex of a bend.

As I said, a really great day, especially as it was the first time I've seen my car being driven by somebody else. The guys then went on to meet Clive Chapman at Classic but I had to get home so I headed off. The programme is scheduled to go out late June and despite filming most of the day I suspect that it will only feature Lotus for a few minutes.

When I find out exactly when its on I'll post for anybody who has got access to the Discovery channel.

Thanks to Bibs for fixing up a great day. :)

Bazza

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A guy called Chris Barrie? Smeg, one of my cult heroes!

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Pretty talented chap.

Worked as an impersonator on Spitting Image and did the Ronald Reagan words on Frankies Two Tribes. Also anybody remember Gordon Brittas?

10c57790.jpg

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

That's him, although I think that the picture must have been taken a while ago..

He's got quite a collection of classics - E type, TR2, BMW 2002, Alfa (can't remember which one) and the XJ6. I think his E Type is going to feature in the 1960s programme.

Also anybody remember Gordon Brittas?

Remember well. The Brittas Empire - Good Comedy!

Sounds like a crackin day was had Barrie.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Cant wait to see the programe.Must have been a great day . Good on you Bazza .Cheers Mike

Chris Barrie also has done some filming with a few DeLorean's and recreated the BTTF scene with the VW camper chasing the time machine

Clicky

Chris Barrie is a big petrol head, he writes for one of the Classic car magazines

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

How cooooooooool.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

He's one of my hero's I love him! Not only in Red Dwarf but as Angelina Jolie's Butler in Tomb Raider movies! Now there a job!!

(this is Kimbers BTW, dad just looks confused......)

Edited by Mike Kimberley

From Lotus:

Hi Bibs

I hope that you are well

A big thank you to you and Barrie. Barrie's Essex Esprit is absolutely fantastic - It looked so good out on track.

All the best

John

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi Barry,

Your car was looking good - it was me that was looking at it / talking to you while you were parked up outside Hethel Engineering Centre in the morning.

Cheers,

Gav

............. that's fightingtorque!!!

www.fightingtorque.com

He was a great bloke, very down to earth

Sorry, I'm confused...is 'Bazza' Chris Barrie?

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

No, I'm Bazza.

Chris Barrie is the famous bloke on the Telly. He's the great bloke who is very down to earth. Not me :P

This series starts on the 4th June on the National Geographic Channel (Sky 536 & Virgin 230)with the 1930's so I expect we'll see Bazza's Esprit four weeks on from then.

3334.jpg

3332.jpg

Looks like there's a DeLorean featured on there too www.natgeochannel.co.uk/programmes/britains-greatest-machines

Email just in :)

I am writing to you on behalf of the National Geographic Channel in London to let you know that your website has been selected to feature in our Further Reading section for Britain

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Nice work! Does that mean I need to go back and delete the drunken ramblings?????

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

That would be a struggle, there are only so many hours in a day!

• Like 1

Evora NA

Email just in :(

I am writing to you on behalf of the National Geographic Channel in London to let you know that your website has been selected to feature in our Further Reading section for Britain

............. that's fightingtorque!!!

www.fightingtorque.com

Saw this last night and thought it is an excellent series, even better because it's an hour long. Cant wait for the 80's and the Esprit, deserving it's place as one of Britains Greatest Machines

Cant wait for the 80's and the Esprit, deserving it's place as one of Britains Greatest Machines

I think the episode will be linking the turbo charger as a piece of kit and then mention it was fitted to the Esprit. Unfortunately it's not about the Esprit as such so it will only be a short clip I guess. I too can't wait though.. :cry: