free hit
counters
Handbrake adjustment - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
peteyg

Handbrake adjustment

Can someone please explain to me how the handbrake adjustment mechanism works, it driving me nuts! Just replaced pads and discs and rebuilt the calipers but I can't understand the adjuster. Which way do you screw the nuts to tighten/slacken the cables. I seem to be able to get one wheel stopped but not the other and vice versa but I'm just guessing and getting bored of trying to find my way in the dark!

The manual is usless and the fact you can't see the compensator to check it's vertical is just daft.

Had a 'mare trying to get the cables back onto the calipers and I'm a bit fed up.

Heeelp pleeease!!

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When you adjust the cables make sure you only adjust them to the point at which there is the prescribed amount of free play when the hand brake calliper arm is at rest (too little and the callipers will not self-adjust to allow for pad wear). That said.

You have two cables, in effect adjusting either will adjust both slightly, but adjusting the one that doesn't need the adjustment will lead to a poor braking.

You have a sleeve and two nuts for each cable which go around a plate fixed to the body.

To slacken a cable

Loosen the nut forward of the plate, and move it as far as you expect to adjust the cable, then tighten the rear nut to it.

Make sure that both cables, when correct leave the balance bar (bit that joins the two rear cables with the brake lever mechanism) evenly. The best way to do this is to slacken both cables to a point at which you have slightly more free play than required then move both in by equal amounts.

Hope this makes sense.

Andy

Andy,

You're a star, thanks!

BUT - It seems my problem is a sticking handbrake mechanism on the left hand caliper. Is it possible to dismantle the mechanism to investigate the cause of the sticking or is it new caliper time?

Also the handbrake cable is frayed, any idea how easy it is to fit a new one?

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by peteyg

Yes you can pull the calliper apart, just be careful to either have a manual or keep a track of how it came apart.

Cable- when you replace it, tape the new one to the old one using strong duct tape (not the imitation material but real fibres in it) and pull the new one through by pulling the old one out.

Thanks Andy,

Cable seems OK for now and the problem was the cables had been put in the opposite way round to the parts manual image so whilst I thought I was adjusting the right caliper, I was actually adjusting the left!!!!!

Appreciate the advice as ever!

Pete