free hit
counters
Lotus sport evaluation- the work - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
andydclements

Lotus sport evaluation- the work

The factory inspection came back with a small list, but a lot of work for some of those.

Jobs included.

Steering rack needing replacement

Steering joints ditto

Steering column ditto

All 4 suspension dampers

All 4 suspension springs

rad fan cowl

Check engine light

Rear wheel bearing -replace

Front wheel bearing - tighten

Well, I've already done the steering & suspension, all in one big lot. Now to the rad fan cowl. It's actually got worse since fitting the new suspension as the old stuff was too soft and so the new stuff has cause the can to shake even more

Here are the photos of what I found when I removed the under-tray

http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/ss93/an...ments/radiator/

Edited by andydclements

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
The factory inspection came back with a small list, but a lot of work for some of those.

Jobs included.

Steering rack needing replacement

Steering joints ditto

Steering column ditto

All 4 suspension dampers

All 4 suspension springs

rad fan cowl

Check engine light

Rear wheel bearing -replace

Front wheel bearing - tighten

Remove Simonf's engine, rebuild & re-fit

You missed something off you list Andy, hope you dont mind I tucked it in there for you?

Buddsy :cheers:

Edited by Buddsy

Remove Simonf's engine, rebuild & re-fit WITH THE HELP OF BUDDSY & SIMONF

Anyway, I could either get a Lotus ABS cowling and (assuming available ex stock) fit that this weekend or order a fibreglass one and repair the old one for temporary use. So today I bought a lot of glass mat resin and pre-mix glass. I've been out there this evening cleaning the areas and epoxying some of them together.

I also called in B&Q, 2m of 15mm tube, a few solder type 90degree bends some foam lagging and a couple of 15mm Ts were purchased. So I can build up the plumbing system once the rad is back in the frame.

Right!

I'm at the "miffed with myself" stage.

I've been mucking about with the rad setup for a week or so now. Thinking I'd get it done yesterday and fitted today. Well I popped in to see OwenGT3 yesterday as I was a few hundred yards away having been buying gas for the blow torch, so that was most of the afternoon gone, so I was aiming to finish putting it together this morning and fit it this afternoon. That happened, except it didn't fit. The oil cooler rads (now two of them) and the double charge cooler rad appear to be a little too high. The modification I tied to avoid at the start is now going have to be done. The floor of the under-tray that houses the rads is going to have to have the step in it moved, so it allows the charge cooler rad and oil coolers to sit half an inch lower. That means lots of cutting the glass fibre and re-fabricating it. I've already committed myself to helping SimonF tomorrow so I'd better get on with it now.

I want a rest.

Is that with twin air con/ charge cooler rad and twin oil coolers?

I cut mine yesterday, so that it drops don to alow the twin rad to sit about an inch lower and then carries on and cut about an inch from the front and angled the lip so that it goes in line with that area. Hopefully it will allow the whole lot to fit.

AH mis read the post, yes to the aircon/chargcooler rad and tripple core main rad but only a single oil cooler although larger than standard, but not two.....

Well, I'm a fair way through the remodelling of the tray. I've Cut and glassed in one layer on the underside and one layer on the top side of the tray, I'm not sure most of the fibreglass is, on the tray or in my hands.

My next concern is, assuming this all fits, does the cover that goes beneath the tray fit? If not I'll have to modify that as well. In which case the car show next weekend is out.

Well, it all fits, a few minor things I need to sort such as oil and charge cooler pipes rubbing against an edge and a pigging leak!

It's on the charge cooler side (I put clear water in the charge cooler tank and water- antifreeze mix in the coolant tank deliberately, and the water drip is clear water, but it's only a drop a minute or so. I may just leave it until the new fibreglass rad cowl arrives.

More worryingly, when I drained my oil today I noticed particles of metal in it, very small ones, but lots of them. I predict my engine coming out soon.

Well, new springs collected from Strattons (more expensive than 1st set as price has gone up). These appear at first glance (compared to memory of set fitted 18 months ago) to be slightly shorter and slightly softer for the first 1/2 inch of travel (my body weigh moved it about that far). Hopefully these will allow the front end to come down far enough to look right and be in line with Lotus specifications (that's what I get for having a light bodied car on later chassis). Then I can lower the rear, fit the new rear top links (must drop them off to Buddsy to fit and weld bungs in) with bushes instead of rose joints.

I then foresee several hours of fun getting the alignment right, but if it sits lower (I'll have to start looking at speed bumps not maximum height restrictions) and rides softer than it does on the current springs (shocks at maximum extension when laden, so no option of wheel dropping to meet road, chassis has to drop and other wheel move up relative to chassis), but still keeps good road holding, the extra £120and extra time will be well worth it.