free hit
counters
Removing the turbos - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gmendoza

Removing the turbos

The service notes call to remove the engine but that seems a bit extreme. Is it possible to remove the turbos while the engine is still in the car? If so, are there any tips or tricks on making it a bit easier?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes, it is definately possible to remove the turbos with the engine in situ. It is not a pleasant job, but there is no need to remove the engine just for the turbos.

If you don

plus: you have to fabricate some 'special' spanners, as there is not much space to loosen the pipe connections from water/oil. An ordinary open-end spanner does have to big sides (that will be an limitation on move angle from side to side..) . It does help if you also use an blow torch to heat the connections up (the steel overlays with treats..) . And if all fails just melt dose bloody bastard nuts of from the studs !

good luck!!

Ok, oil lines and coolant line were straight forward but the turbos seem to have washers with a tab that's bent up against one side of the hex nut. How do I deal these?

Thanks

use a long stiff and sharp screwdriver, and bend them up (mostly, on older cars those will fall apart ->rust...) .

same system is used on the manifold/head (just if the time comes that you want to do some work on here , bud those are made of sheets from stainless steel ... . )

Edited by G

So, Gonzalo,

Did you get the turbos out? Somday I will probably attempt the same job, just wondering what troubles you had.

Wayne

Yes I did. It wasn't too hard. I did have to make a tool to remove the coolant lines. Bending the tabs wasn't hard with a long screwdriver. The only problem was the front inside nut on the right turbo. I had to cut the nut off and replace the stud. Other than that, pretty straight forward.

PS: I called you earlier but the call didn't go thru; RE: EGR.