free hit
counters
Headlights - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Headlights

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at it breifly, but decided against it due to the available height differenc between front and rear of the appeture being quite small, thus you only have room for a small headlight.

Mark from LotusBits did something by cutting the body behind the pod to allow two pairs of motorcycle style lights to be fitted. You can get a pic of it if you find Mark's post about his mangled Esprit.

I can't remember Mark's Id currently

• Gold FFM

I've been looking at this too. It will be a tight fit to keep the glass mounted flush with the hood-line. the other option is to do something the C5 corvettes did (once the C6 came out with flush mounted headlights).

yhst-5006790027353_2048_529358673.gif

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

The Esprit must have its pop up head lights.

Nothing else!

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

i have looked at this over and over again, its alot harder than ppl think, the jap car uses camaro i believe.

its all because of the angle of the bonnet its not extreme enough, the only way forward is NSX style really

and most of the aftermarket stuff isnt big enough and has the wrong angle down the side to look correct.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

a much better version was done by a member on here by the name of "M Blur", using the Nissan 300ZX headlights like the lamborghini has... allthough its still not quite perfect...

Lights30082007272.jpg

from the pre-finished pics, you can see the gap that needed to be filled on the inner side:

firstheadlightinstall.jpg

frontviewofheadlight.jpg

the whole thread is here:

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...c=8317&st=0

shade

Edited by shadeone

I cannot believe that this is for real, pop ups are what they supposed to be, the lines of the esprit do not lend themselves to this kind of mod. The only one I would consider (but not do) would be to keep the existing pop up nut fit smaller haed lamps, then restrict the amount the pods come up.

BUT square ill fitting lamps, oh dear, sorry but not for me.

Dave

Allan.

If you really love Esprit's as your nickname suggests, you will leave the pop up lights alone.

Please lie down in a darkened room for a while and you will feel better in the morning!

• Gold FFM

wow - I get that some people want to preserve history and their version of the perfect Esprit was the one that came off the assembly line 20 years ago... but I don't understand the hate on people who want to 'make it better' in their view.

running a transplanted engine, swaping interiors, adding performance, wheels, ...where is the line?

the Esprit is a great car - but I personalize every car I own, increase performance, work on it - polish, add, change. being connected to the car for me is the long long hours workin gon it - some in maintenance, some in enhancement.

Everyone has a perspective of personal 'taste'. I agree some of it is tacky IMHO but to simply dismiss anyone who alters the car seems overly narrow. A little updating to the appearance may even prolong the Esprit - you never know.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

WOW.........Thanks for those pics and reply!

These's something I've learned after this discussion~ :)

Hey Brian, you're right....I'm not going to change anything to the headlights.

PS.They don't built car this way anymore (popup lights) :)

008-1-1.jpgLotuslogo.gif1aeg-logo.jpg

Exactly! It's now illegal to have pop up lights so why would you want to change something so "Lotus"?

As a purist I have to say, if you love Esprit, like your forum name suggests, then leave it alone to be an Esprit!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I am about to change my lights to improve the efficiency by installing HID replacement kit. I also intend to upgrade my rear lights to the latest version of the Elise LED's to bring the car up to date, but I won't ever contemplate altering the bodywork or removing any of the heritage features like the pop up lights.

I do plan to do some upgrade work on the engine at some time in the future but also won't contemplate changing the lump for anything other than a Lotus motor if the need arises.

At the end of the day it is down to personal taste, it's your car you can do what you want with it.

i only really like the sleepy eye ones allthough in person they might look like the motor inside is broken or something... the others all take away from the awesome lines of the front...

i still love the way that orange diablo in the first post looks though!

shade

Exactly! It's now illegal to have pop up lights..............................?

Can I ask for a little clarification? Do you mean to say it is no longer permitted to manufacture new cars with retractable lighting? If it was illegal there would suddenly be a lot of cars unable to be driven, at least under certain conditions.

I have stated before, Cibie makes a wicked set of 5 3/4 replacement lamps, even the old series produced back in the late 70's/80's were easily worth the investment. Now they make the CSR version of that lamp and I wish my car were here to put them in so I could report on them, they are said to be in another league than their already excellent earlier lamps.

cibiecsrlowbeam.jpg

cibiecsrhighbeam.jpg

This guy knows a little about lighting:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Edited by Rodewaryer

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Can I ask for a little clarification? Do you mean to say it is no longer permitted to manufacture new cars with retractable lighting?

Yep. Spot on Rob. Brought in a couple of years ago now. Aplies to all new motors only.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Exactly! It's now illegal to have pop up lights so why would you want to change something so "Lotus"?

As a purist I have to say, if you love Esprit, like your forum name suggests, then leave it alone to be an Esprit!

Yap! Not changing the pop up lights! after all I'd still love the look of that front Esprit. And I'll hardly drive the at night~ :(

Yes, I love Esprit........and I'll try my best to make my car as new as possible (now the car is old 19 years of age, and the previous owner did not take care the car at all and the condition looks horrifying~ :) )

008-1-1.jpgLotuslogo.gif1aeg-logo.jpg

Thanks Ian, not that it's your fault but now I feel like an idiot. I just thought it was no longer stylish. Now the Diablo with the nissan lamps makes sense......I just thought it was a more reliable set up or cost saving or ?.....

It's wierd, knowing that makes me feel even better about the Esprit. The only problem now is to figure out how to make this system a little more reliable.

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Just taking this topic sideways slightly, due to the clatter my lights make when they retract, I wondered if there was any way of slowing down the motors and thus reducing the noise. I'm sure any sparky's will have the answer (because of this I had also been pondering the issue of upgrade / replacement)

Colin

Pop-up lights weren't actually specifically outlawed. The front of cars have to meet a certain number of criteria regarding pedestrian impact. It would be a huge and expensive task to engineer pop-up lights to satisy these requirements especially in their 'up' position, so manufacturers have decided to let this (if we're honest) outdated style to die.