free hit
counters
T-cutting over waxoil - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

T-cutting over waxoil

hi all

shock horror purza asking a car related question lol

ok i am currently running a VW Golf GTi Mk2 '91/'92

it is supposed to be tornado red but it is salmon pink in places lol i was going to T-cut it but there are the odd spots on the body work (stone chipped paint, slight knocks from handle bars) where they have been treated with waxoil to prevent or limit rusting?

now am i able to T-cut over these areas and just reapply after waxing? or ???

purza

ps obviously this will be done AFTER i finish my bathroom :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing you'll find is that while T cutting the waxoil will be spread around and make the T cut less effective. I'd recommend removing it with white spirit or similar first then T cut and finally re-apply waxoil to cover these chips.

ok thanks for that, i wasn't sure as to whether i should remove the waxoil, and i take it that the T-cutt will be ok going over the chips once waxoil free?

Don't forget, Purza, after T cutting get a good sealant and coat the paint, then a good wax. This shlould slow down the oxidisation process that makes some panels pink/Fade

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Autoglym Super Resin Polish is my recommendation. It has a UV filter and silicon sealant in built. A coat of that after T cut then wax over the top should really do the trick and keep the oxidisation down.

Unfortunately once it starts to fade it will always fade again, but you can slow it down and make it look much better.

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I've found that if you wash your car using household washing up liquid, this makes the paint fade quicker and also blotchie. I always use a car shampoo now.

If your going to polish or t-cut after washing, try and get a car shampoo that doesn't include wax.

I've found that if you wash your car using household washing up liquid, this makes the paint fade quicker and also blotchie.

I hope that you didn't find this out on your Esprit!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

No, he looked at yours! :)

I guess I could use the

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

When the laquers peeling off, yes you can!! :)

Getting them in now before you get it back from the paint shop!! :(

That's my old Esprit, doofus!

Evora NA

I remember the big spots on the rear of your New Esprit with the laquer coming off!

Stop trying to deny it Burger boy! (yes I knwo you've lost a load of weight but it sounded good!)

Cool

Ok

Can't argue with you

Know it all

:P

Evora NA

Not

Understandably

Terribly

Sorry

I hope that you didn't find this out on your Esprit!

Found it out on my VW Golf Mk2 1990. It was red too. Although it was about 10 years ago!! Great cars, had another Mk2 GTi since then. Handles great on tight single track back roads. (excuse me for wandering off topic and reminiscing :P )

Bit of a coincidence looking at how the topic started :bounce: