free hit
counters
Changed the steering wheel of your Esprit? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Changed the steering wheel of your Esprit?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
me...

Most excellent, Lou. Now get your heinie over to "Leather Menders" and have Paul attend to that parking brake gaiter so it'll match the rest of your impeccable interior (very nice!) so you can keep up with the rest of the Austin contingent! B)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Has anyone fitted a Daytona? Apparently it has an airbag so the standard GM grey monster can be replaced with something that has a little style. Forgot the manufacturer but they run around 400 Euro in Germany.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Has anyone fitted a Daytona? Apparently it has an airbag so the standard GM grey monster can be replaced with something that has a little style. Forgot the manufacturer but they run around 400 Euro in Germany.

I'm pretty sure these are the RAID airbag steering wheels, available from TM Tuning in Germany. I got mine from them, and had great service. I don't have any pictures of mine, but I got the real carbon fibre one, and have been very pleased with it.

Now then, I have heard the hub adapter issue can be solved with one off an Elise (?). What did some of you use? It can't be that hard to do if there are this many aftermarket wheels in Esprits.....

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Maybe a group buy is in order if we can get enough interest in a particular type of wheel or manufacturer??

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

• Gold FFM

Big Erch (Arch) is looking to get some adaptors (Nardi to Momo). We were discussing it in this thread here. Post your interest in the thread to see if he can get more.

Thanks for posting your pictures. My favourite is still the Momo Race!

Signature not working...

What diameter steering wheel are people fitting? Is the measurement taken from the outside diameter?

I believe mine is 350mm outside diameter. If you don't have power steering i don't recommend anything smaller. The smaller the wheel the less leveage you have which makes it harder to turn.

Thanks, Dave, that confirms what I thought. I agree on the diameter, my factory Nardi wheel is almost too small, especially with V8 wheels...

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

• 3 weeks later...
I'm about to change the steering wheel on my Esprit, thinking of going with the Momo 'Race' one and I wondered what you folk had fitted to your Esprit.

Momo Race:

post-215-1241111404_thumb.jpg

Alan, where did you get this picture? I'm looking for the same centre cap (but black) for my momo with the lotus badge on it. Does anyone know where i can get one?

• Gold FFM

Hi Arch, the picture was from SJ Sportscars website. Spoke to Steve a while ago about the steerwheel and said he would supply it with the wheel. Perhaps available separately?

By the way, got the adaptor, many thanks! Sent you a PM.

Signature not working...

• 10 years later...

I looked at it this thread when i was choosing a steering wheel, I thought someone else may find this useful.. I was originally thinking of going with the MOMO Heritage Prototipo, However after some thought and looking at other Esprit Owners Steering Wheel choices I decided that it would show too much of the Steering Wheel Column.. So I went with the Momo Mod78. also ..  if anyone is wondering yes the backlights to my gauges were updated to Green LEDs and it was a very gratifying modification,, Some of the original bulbs were burned out and the ones that did work were very dim and really hard to see at a glance while driving at night. 

untitled (1 of 1).jpg

• Like 1