free hit
counters
No Fuel - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
oldngray

No Fuel

A 97 Esprit, would not start, disconnected the fuel line from the tank to the filter. Pump would run sometimes and then not. No Fuel when cranking, again sometimes the pump would run and other times it would not. Just little dribbles of fuel. Possibly not related (could be) the fuel gauge does not register any fuel.

There is fuel. Loaded about 9 gals. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I did read the thread from Joel about replacing the pump.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
sounds like fuel pump on the way out, can you hear it when you put the ignition on.

Sometimes it comes on when the key is turned to ign. Probably does not come on more often. It will come on sometimes when the engine is cranked, will run for a few seconds but only dribbles of fuel.

bridge/short the relay sockets for both pumps in the RH rear luggage compartment. If your pumps run now, than it is something with the relay contacts not working properly (wasn't there an early cars-note about replacement of/change to different 'brown' Siemens type relays for fuel-pump an other ECM service in an official paper!?)

to replace the fuelpumps, or at least to test them with direct voltage on the pumps -just remove the RH quarter window cover (the carped thing). and use an screwdriver to turn the lock-ring on top of the pump system. Than you can get these things out of the tank. Other point is ->if there is rust & mud in the reservoir under the pump arrangement (like on my 98') , than it will probably block this 'nylon-mesh' type filter system connected to the suction pipe on the pump inlet port.

Thanks for that information. Where is the "relay located?, engine bay? Also is there a listing of the Lotus Car Notes that can be reviewed on the web?

just what i say: rear luggage compartment. ->there is the battery and the OBD-port too.. .

On later cars there should be two brown Siemens 30Amp -power relay (double contact or so.) for the primary fuel pump (that stays on all the time your engine is running, and therefore it gets hot and contacts get a lot permanent current..) & injector power. And the other is for ignition service/power. Should be the first & second in the upper line, just next to the fuse section.

I've got this *Service Bulletin class2*-informations out of my :) highly 'illegal' commercial copy's of the workshop-book. There was an person over here in Germany who sold those stuff some years ago... . Bud to identify the relay just use your ordinary owners manual. The pictures are still the same.

And if you want to verify that your second fuel pump does what it should ( in other words if you want to know which pressure you get in the line with both pumps running.) -than bridge/short relay contact from the gray colored relay next to the brown in the same line. It should be second from left, upper line, gray color (simple single contact off/on -type). In that way you can let your pumps run separately and measure the fuel pressure via the *shraeder valve* type connector on the RH fuel line. You don't need to turn on ignition or ECM power and such stuff. Pumps will get voltage directly from the battery.

Edited by G

Thank you very much, I am new to this vehicle as it belongs to my Oldest Son but I am confident that between the two of us we can do this. Will try out your suggestions on Tuesday when I see him.

Mine turned out to be the primary relay (you should hear the fuel pump when the ingn is turned on) You can remove the brown relay located near the battery in the long black box. After pulling relay use four butter knives or something similair remove the brown box from the black base. Remove the flat spring and the top contacts will fall off. You can clean both upper and lower contacts with a pencil eraser then put back together. This fixed mine

Edited by billt

Bill -it fixed yours, bud i still think even the double contact brown type is not heavy enough . As that was you have cleaned was the oxidizations on the contacts -from to much backfire. The relays get hot under normal condition and i don't know if mine will last for ever (especially as i have used one of the brown types to have an double contact relay for the twin light conversion..) So at least someone should design an type of condenser (don't know it its right spelling ..) for the contacts, or just find an cheap and reliable different type of relay for more load on it..