free hit
counters
S2 Restoration - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JonSE

S2 Restoration

Hi - I'm hoping to make some changes to my Sept 1978 S2.

I aim to make the car look more like an S1!

Eventually white!!

With S1's being thin on the ground and me having lots of happy history with my S2, this seems to be the route to go.

I have a couple of questions aimed at the guy's with knowledge of the S1 / S2 model variations on this forum

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Leave it an S2, it's bad enough people making S1's into S2/3's.

Wolfraces - I seen rocking horses have more poo's

Who quoted the paint?

Get your chassis blasted somewhere local and cheap there are plenty of good places.

Do the best job you can, there are plenty of people who can help.

The front is not as simple as you think. The radiator was larger and mounted at more of an angle on the S2 than in the S1. I've no idea what exactly that will mean. but logic tells me changing the front end will not be simple.

The S2 I think has a slightly wider track than an S1 too, but I couldn't swear to that.

My other thought is that by the time you've done the work you'll have spent the same money required to get a properly sorted S1. There's a silver one for sale on Piston Heads for

Thanks for the advice!

Paint was quoted by guy's in Bromsgrove near Matty's who were at the show.

They had a seven stage process for

Another vote for keeping it as an S2. To make an S1 you would have to change the rear lights/surrounds and number plate housing too.

Paint it white, no-one but the hardcore will know the difference. With a restored S2 you will be even more individual.

I too would agree - keep it as an S2. The amount of work on the front would be a right pain - compare my S1 with yours to see the differences...

There was an American guy with a set of Wolfrace wheels to sell on this forum a while back.

Paul.

Thanks LooseCannon and the S2 voters...........but :):):angry:

The lights and No plate surround are one aspect of the S2 I don't mind!

I would leave these as they are. B)

The Esprit community must be the best! Even as I type my responses, I note Paul has sent me a pic of an inverted body shell with a note to leave original!

(Leaving it appeals after reading the immense work you put in Paul - but you are also an inspiration for my project!!!!)

I don't intend to sell the car or pass it off as an S1 so its all purely down to tatse and technical possibilities.

I love the S2 - but an S1 homage - a Bond car homage.........could it get any better??????????

I already enjoy driving an SE and an S2 - but tweaking my S2 to "Q" spec.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm lucky in being able to drive the car and enjoy it and not having to work a box of bits like a lot of the very talented guy's here.

(Just how DO you roll a full bodyshell Paul???)

Checked out the S1 on Pistonheads. It has the correct lower stalk type mirrors but a later steering wheel, so I suppose ultimateley I'm just aspiring to the whole Bond Car fantasy...I'd also like the tiny wing mirrors :(

Also, spending

Edited by JonSE

Smaller point but the reason that Lotus went from the blade spoiler to the wrap around on the S2 was to cure high speed aerodynamic instability.

If you leave the S2 rear end I'm afraid you are going to end up with a right jumble of styles. Don't get me wrong I love the S2, it's just by cherry picking you are going to end up with a dog's dinner, neither an S1 or S2. By the way your S2 steering wheel should be the same 2 spoke as an S1, if not it's been changed.

Hi Jonathan,

Sounds like you have project on your hands! I will be watching.

Those S2 mirrors - I would love them, mine are gone by a previous owner. Happy to pay for shipping plus what you think is fair? I am in Brisbane, Australia.

PM me if interested. You would make annother S2 owner very happy. :D

Iain :harhar:

Guest bharper

from time to time I see s1 bodys for sale, find one of those, restore like you want, and drop it on the s2 chassis. Then you could switch back if you like.

is not the s2/speedline setup a different offset from the wolfrace?

or - make the s2 a john player clone, and find a fixer-upper s1...

Thanks for the advice guys - the high speed stability is not really an issue as the SE kind of covers that for me :santa:

Of interest is the comment on jumble of styles. That does seem to be the end result here.......

Looking further at the blade vs wraparound - its not going to be 100% correct and needs glass fibre grafts - the shot of the shell above is miles away from the S2.....

Think I'll keep an eye out though for an S1. Spoke to Sherwood Restorations (Notts UK) and they had a 5K mile white S1 one owner for 15K GBP that sold short time ago.

So they do still come up........and I'm not Esprit less in the meantime!!

Mechanically though - S2 resto still on. Local guy to me is also undergoing s2 resto and providing some great info.

My steering wheel by the way is long gone........fancy an S3 type but the boss is bloody different!!

Cheers - thanks for the interest!

J

Edited by JonSE

Hi Jonathan,

Keep the S2 as is, I think you'll find we're a more exclusive club than the S1s at the moment! Echoing Mat's comments about the rad, I belive the setup was different on the S1. There were 2 or 3 types of rad, set at different angles but to convert to S1 lip spoiler you'll need a whole new cowling and rad.

Pete

Hi Jonathan.

Your thoughts sound very similar to mine! I have just bought an S2 (previously owned by Mat K who posted two replies for you) and my original intention was to make it look like an S1 in some ways.

However - having now owned the car my thoughts have changed. Like you I am going to get the colour changed from its current yellow to white (it needs a respray regardless) but thats it. I think that will satisfy the "Bond urge" within me! The only thing I will do as a nod to the S1 is have the sills under the doors painted white (instead of blacked out) and have the bottom edge of the front spoiler in black to give a more S1 look to the front. I have seen another car painted this way and looks as I hoped (i.e good!)

I didn't originally like speeline alloys, but they have grown on me and Mat got them refurbished when he owned it and they look superb.

I certainly have no intention of pretending the car is anything other than an S2. I also agree with Marks comment about being more individual, thats my aim.

Might also start a thread once I get going...won't be too long.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but I agree with Pete to stay S2 and be proud of it.

Maybe this will give you some inspiration to leave as an S2...............

88a97f9b.jpg

Thanks Nelly - spoke to SJ re a blade and its a no without some nasty fibre mods. Grafts will never be perfect. Looking at the S2 shot you kindly provided, its not that big an issue anyway as they look good in white. Also had the thought of colour coding the wraparound spoiler just where it skirts out to the floor - great minds!!

Car needs to be white first in my case as its all coded in balck!!

One semi botch (god please forgive me) may be to cut the side spoiler at the base to leave an S1 type body profile and blade??

I might buy an old spoiler and have a play at no risk.

If you have a pic of a white car with wrap spoiler painted black at the base - I'd really like to see that. Good luck with your project!

The removal of the black chip guard around the sills completely transforms the car. I must have spent too long looking at the car from Jeremy Waltons book that belongs to Aiden. I suppose though they wanted in period to show the car had changed between models and I want to kind of gloss over that!

Got the S2 mirrors off and the car looks a lot cleaner. Going to get shot :animier: but I rather like the look of the non-standard mirrors on the Bond car as restored in the interior by Nick F somewhere else on this forum. Kind of a single seater stalk style just for driver door. If its good enough for them....

Either that or no mirrors - or the S1 repros. :cheers:

Tried to cut the paint back this week and its totally shot. Also looking at the image before, white seems to compliment the car in a much better way - especially on the bib.

Black seems to enlarge the car and white shrinks it - complete opposite to all other cars!!

Enjoying driving it at the moment though! Also had to spend some time cleaning the Speedlines. Had one refurbished a few years ago due to leaks and they can be brought up really well, so will maybe stick with these (also due to the complete lack of Wolf's on the open market and my concern over track changes that would be needed....)

One tech question - can anyone confirm psi for front and rear??? Understand there was some confusion and incorrect factory data at the time but I found a label in the glove box ex factory that says 18psi for the front - can't remeber rear value. Also - am I going to struggle for good tyres?

Thx!

Hi Peter G - read a few articles with your car in them! One was a supercar shoot-out from 5 years ago versus a Pantera and the 308. You did a chassis rebuild when you bought the car?

J

Hi Jon,

They got it wrong in the Octane article. Yes indeed it was rebuilt on a galvanised chassis but SJSportscars did the work, not me!

As for your tyres, 18psi at the front and 27psi at the back assuming you're running the correct sizes and with regards to tyres which are indeed getting a little tricky to track down, I'd suggest you have a look at this thread:

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...=tyres&st=0

Good luck,

Pete

This is another alternative which I personally think looks better...

picture0160u.jpg

picture0165.jpg

Before you ask... no it's not my car just some pictures I collected. It belonged to a guy called Simon House a few years back be he's since sold it I believe.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Pauls photo of Simons car is exactly how I intend to do mine. I do have a photo but this already shows it perfectly.

picture0165.jpg

That i like a lot, keeps the car origional (sort of) but cleans up the lines. Very nice use of paint!

May be lose the mirrors...

That does blur the change from S1 to S2......I notice there are no "S2" decals on the flank but its wearing the S2 wraparound spoiler........

Also - if I did manage to find a set of Wolfrace alloys.....assuming the track differences can be tuned out of the suspension with shims as this guy must have done??

Colour coded ears and the paint on the front bib spoiler gives the effect I want here without the burden of glassfire mods or changing the S2 in any real way.

Thanks for the pics Paul - I think this is where I'll be going with my car. I'll work to blend the spoiler lines in a little more as well to reduce the impact.

My mirrors being off the car has made a positive difference to the lines. I'll run without for now until I decide on an alternative.

The last (average) PO respray of the car in black meant the decals were non-original so I've just taken off the "S2" element on the rear flank to see how it looks........

Again it makes a bit of a visual difference!!

MatK's pics of the very original Lotus 60th S2 show how my car will look with red seats. Might be tempted to die black when the interior is redone....

The pin striping has long gone on mine.

Main botch still to address is the webasto sunroof when the respray is due as this will corrupt the lines.......

Understand this is a major headache.

I'm no good at image upload but will try and get some on here as I go along....here is the car before I started...later images to follow....

post-2121-1242504995_thumb.jpg

post-2121-1242505908_thumb.jpg

post-2121-1242506140_thumb.jpg

Edited by JonSE

Nics pics and discussion.

Jon, was the paint on the car original or a respray? Reason I ask is the cars were painted-in-mould, so the original paint is under a resin gel coat and I am interested in the whole re-build of panel corners etc when you block it back. How are you going to deal with that?

Also, on pin-stripping, it does have an influence on the lines - I am thinking of keeping my gold stripes.

Iain :baby:

img0049k.jpg