free hit
counters
Subwoofer & speaker installs - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ifly

Subwoofer & speaker installs

I have searched the forums and not come up with a solution let alone determined whether I could do this to my P & J! On the yellow Esprit manufactured on the line before my 2004 I noticed on eBay pictures that someone had added subs behind the drivers and passengers seats.

Has anyone performed this addition to a post 2002 vehicle and if so how, what tools, subwoofers, wiring routes and any pictures did you use, have?

Thanks in advance gents (and ladies).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I wouldn't have thought there's much point due to engine noise, but you'd be limited in speaker size that can go there due to depth before reaching the tanks. Mine had speakers there but I removed them to gain an extra 1/4 inch of seat travel.

Andy,

I recognize the engine noise issue but have had good results with my Alpine IDA-X100 and an IMPRINT processor that has managed to overcome some of the engine noise issues at various volumes but I am still lacking base at lower volumes. Just looking at options not necessarily looking to do it but obviously would like input from someone who has :)

as my fuel tanks are out now i can say there is more space than you would expect under the base level of the tanks. So in other words if you go as deep as possible with the level that you choose to arrange the speakers to the ground than it should fit in. bud i think it will look strange to have the low frequency speakers near to the seat rail level instead of an ordinary hight-level behind the backrest ...

I have not done it yet but my intentions were to put in these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2068C65VT4/Ki...654.html?tp=111

Given the space limitations you need to find a 6.5" free air, shallow mount sub. I have not verified the depth will fit on these yet but you can do a spacer to make it fit. As everyone has said, the more depth you need the less the front seat will go back.

Hey Bob,

I went with a simple fiberglass enclosure in the passenger footwell. It can be removed in 2 minutes...just an idea to ponder...

post-251-1241480751_thumb.jpg

Edited by jfitz981

Dave,

Those kickers will work. I have JL Audio 6.5" woofers in mine with a 3 1/2" mounting depth.

I installed those 6.5" shallow mount Kickers as replacements for the stock 6.5" Alpines in the doors on my 2002. However, I added an Alpine subwoofer amp in the rear boot and wired the Kickers in parallel. I used the stock 4.5 inch coax Alpines on the dash and the tweeters in the doors and those are powered by the stock Alpine stereo. The stereo has additional RCA outputs to utilize a separate subwoofer amp as I'm sure your Alpine does also.

I retained the stock look, gained about 5lbs but the bass now is quite substantial. Not enough to shake the neighbors windows but so much better than stock. With the windows closed, it kicks ass.

Thats actually not a bad idea with replacing the door mids. I don't need teeth rattling, shatter the neighbours windows bass, just enough to realize that there is a bass guitar or the drummer has a full set.

I wouldn't have thought there's much point due to engine noise...

I used to think this. but then i got an Elise!

:P

The Esprit with it's carpeted bulkheads and foam backings seems noisy compared

to the more sound insulated daily drive, but it does have better sound insulation than

i used to give it credit for. The decent stereo has it's place in such a luxury interior so

good speakers is a must. How about ones under the seats?

70mph in the Elise's bare aluminum tub you can't hear your shouting passenger. Have

turned my unit on once only to see if it worked and that was it. In fact that reminds me,

i owe Robert Crooks a feeder CD.

:)

Sacrilege! The only time an Esprit audio system should be turned on is when the car is stationary, motor off, parked on Mulholland Drive overlooking the lights of LA on a warm summer night with a hot date in the passsenger seat.

To activate said device whilst in motion is to disturb the symphonic cacophony and general chi of the Lotus rolling soundstage experience.

Begone, Satan!

I can vouch for the possibilities of the "act" in a Lotus Elan, not tried in the Esprit, are you able confirm the possibilities in said vehicle? (maybe I should have given it a "shot" with Major Amasova). :D

...parked on Mulholland Drive overlooking the lights of LA on a warm summer night with a hot date in the passsenger seat. ...

If you can guaranty that this will ever happen for me, than i promise that i will never use my soundsystem again (in any car..) :D

:rofl:

Clandestine sources have indicated to me that pre-"act" Yoga lessons are of invaluable assistance. :D:rofl:

Clandestine sources have indicated to me that pre-"act" Yoga lessons are of invaluable assistance. :D:)

Oh the reply options to that are endless, :rofl:

OK, I will than try to go into those secret 'yoga courses' -to experience *the sound of music* :D -bud until that i try the Esprit driving experience... .

Sorry for the shameless diversion, Bob. It's truly amazing how quickly subwoofers can morph into hooters and such. Curse of the genetic hardwiring of the male mind I suppose. Progenitor programming probably accounts for more threadjackings than all other influences combined. On the other hand, without it no thread could exist past a single generation's input. Something to do with DNA "feedback loops" I think....

Anyhow, back to topic (for a while, anyway--don't get your hopes up too much), has anyone given consideration to a roof-mounted sub? No "depth" limitation would be imposed, as "the sky's the limit," so to speak[er]. And for cooling purposes (and an additional touch of panache) one might see fit to install an airscoop (a la the Exige design) as protective cover--and possible exterior broadcast amplification for passersby. Quick-disconnect speaker wires could still allow for removal of the sunroof if desired.

Yes, yes. The "anti-mod" contingent is going absolutely bonkers at this point, but so what? Have them purchase a second stock sunroof for obligatory "concourse d'elegance" display.

I can see it John, you're probably on the way to recreate all our 'rattling around' roofs into planar speakers -are you !? :D

I think you're on to something here, Gunter. Eliminate the cone and attach the subwoofer magnetdrive directly to the sunroof panel and let the good vibrations begin! :)

Question is, would the regular panel or the glass panel produce the best results? And one would have to avoid the specific frequency harmonic that might shatter the glass if that was the choice du jour. Bit of a cleanup chore I suspect. :D

(Stop flinching, Bob. We're sort of still "on topic." Think of it as an international brainstorming session. :rofl: )

to make things easier: sort out some of those really existing planars, or those http://www.henri-elektronik.de/start.php?/..._100Watt_4R.php heavier body-sound-subs for 'under seat' fitting and put them under your seat. There is an additional foam section under the carped in the passenger/driver floor. So you have some space reserves for them if you want to fit them more in the leg area. If you're not that tall, than you can fit those speakers more onto the rear flor. Lift up the seat an fit it under it. Gives all the bass direct in your a** :D

http://www.henri-elektronik.de/start.php?a..._bassshaker.php

Edited by G

[quote name='G

Just to keep on topic.............. in my lounge room I have a Marantz CD player, a Marantz amplifier, and 2 moderate size Marantz speakers, (the rear one) for my main speakers I have a couple of Lowthers, if not the best then very highly rated. There is also a sub-woofer it sits under the TV screen. Lowther pooh hoood, the notion of a sub-woofer, but did give me a few clues on building one, if I really insisted.

I like piano recitles, sopranos, usually music with quite a high trebble content, so I never get to hear the sub-woofer and neither should I, unless Bach's Tocata and Fuge.

If however I choose to watch something like Mr and Mrs Smith, the sound from the DVD player also goes through the Marantz amplifier, get ready to hit the deck or you will get caught in the cross fire, the subwoofer comes in the whole souround sound bit, duck behind the chairs!

My point is that if I want to drive a fast sports car, I have an Esprit, if I want to listen to music I have a sound system, I have a CD stacker in the car, it doesn't compete with my lounge room, it never will.

Roger :D

That's right -for the good type resonances you will always need enough volume , so any car will not be good for that. It just can't beat an concert hall... . Bud i guess most of those who install subs into the cars just want pure 'vibrations' !? Most of them are not that old to enjoy classic harmonies and all that stuff. As long as the t*** of girls are shaking under bass it is good at all.. :hrhr: