free hit
counters
sump nut removal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit22

sump nut removal

I tried last night but without success, whats the best procedure to remove sump nut?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Make sure you have areally snug fitting socket/ tool (being brass it will round off corners very easily), try tightening it VERY slightly, this may help break the seal of the threads.

If that doesn't work you may want to try heating it a bit, do so slowly with a blow torch / brule torch (depends on tool kit / kitchen utensilts), from memory brass has a lower coefficient of expansion than ali, so the ali hole should open up more than the brass plug.

Oh, and if my question seemed stupid, I wasn't sure if you were referring to the nuts that hold the sump to the block.

Andy

It takes a good 18mm ring spanner, not a double offset - a combination will do - well on the hex..then try jacking the car up on the end of the spanner (make sure you are trying to UNDO it!!) There should be a loud CRACK! as the threads start to move. Takes a bigger gorilla than me to do it by hand! Of course, this presupposes you or a PO haven't rounded the thing off already...may end up with a stilson pipe wrench or a hefty molegrip!!

It takes a good 18mm ring spanner, not a double offset - a combination will do - well on the hex..then try jacking the car up on the end of the spanner (make sure you are trying to UNDO it!!) There should be a loud CRACK! as the threads start to move. Takes a bigger gorilla than me to do it by hand! Of course, this presupposes you or a PO haven't rounded the thing off already...may end up with a stilson pipe wrench or a hefty molegrip!!

Hmm, jacking the car up on the end of the spanner implies that the drain nut is located on the side of the engine and NOT the bottom as I thought..maybe Ive been trying to undo the wrong one! What is the location of said nut?

Good, I thought that was the one. Why the hey is it only 5ml, bloody awkward to get a spanner onto it when laying underneath...guess it would be easy to do if car was up on a proper lift.

Well it appeared that I was trying to undo the wrong bloody nut! Larf, I almost bought an Elise!!

Nut came undone easy as I done it up 2 years ago when oil last changed. Forgot what a saga it was to remove/refit oil filter, seem to recall that Lotus now make the filters taller than before which now requires the need for a rubber hammer to ease it pust the starter motor. Not bad...4 and a half hours to change oil and plugs!!! Lotus...dont you love em.