free hit
counters
Rear hatch drain hoses - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wilf

Rear hatch drain hoses

My S3 NA has a couple of hoses that go from the bottom corners of the rear hatch to drain holes in the boot floor. Only thing is they don't actually go through the drain holes - they stop short. This means I get a small puddle at each drain hole and it "overflows" out of the actual drain hole. This cannot be right? What has everyone else got?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yup - they're supposed to go through the holes! I suspect yours will stretch through - if not, source some new stuff from your local DIY store.

Mine stop short but I don't have any puddles. It drains quite happily. Is there a build up of muck around the holes?

Pete

I have replaced the flexible hoses with hard PVC ones as mine were rubbing against the body and leaked into the boot :santa:

Had another look at this today, and mine are too short to reach the drain holes but the holes are too small for the hose to fit anyway! I have flexible spiral type hose a bit like the induction hosing but smaller - is this correct?

Should there be anything around the hose where it exits the boot or are they just poked through? The manual does not have any details.

Wilf,

I replaced mine the other day on my 81 S3 T.E., I went to the local aquatic center and bought 1.5 inch hose for fish ponds which looks just the same but better quality and was

The tale was that the original drawing had a 3/8" or thereabouts hose as a drain...plenty enough to drain the water...but when Chapman saw it, he said "What about leaves?! That'll block up straight away!! Make it BIG!!!" ...So that's why it ended up with such a large diameter..and mine have never blocked up in the 21 years I've had the car. Still the originals, too..wire reinforced convoluted stuff which fits over the GRP moulded drains from the hatch surround, and runs straight out through the rear floor.

Edited by molemot

There should be anything there, the pipe just sticks out through the bottom of the boot floor about an inch or two. Once you've corrected this just make sure the top hat seals to the body work or this will leak down the outside of the drainage ducts and into the boot space. On the S4 they are only riveted on and have a tendancy to fail and leak.

The tale was that the original drawing had a 3/8" or thereabouts hose as a drain...plenty enough to drain the water

...but when Chapman saw it, he said "What about leaves?! That'll block up straight away!! Make it BIG!!!" ...So that's why it ended up with such a large diameter..and mine have never blocked up in the 21 years I've had the car. Still the originals, too.

Great shame the man died.

Some thirty years on without the logic of chapman, Lotus have gone back to the 3/8" boot

drain pipe on the Elise. The very same pipe at the bottom of the engine lid gutter on my Elise

is about the size of a drinking straw, and could be blocked by an unlucky gnat...

:baby: