free hit
counters
V8 Cambelt Schedule - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stats007

V8 Cambelt Schedule

:)

Woof!

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

With a comeback like that, I can only hazzard a guess that iffy must be in the law profession. LOL

Edit: no offense to those who are, have many many many people in my family who are in that profession. It takes a special person to practice law which I'm not. I ended up with the mechanic skills, so needless to say, I'm the one everyone calls on to "fix it".

Edited by freshcut

John that's dangerous -the master has found someone who can beat him ! :):)

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

"Ralph, with regard to pulley (idler) wear, Dave once told me (IIRC) that visually checking that the black coating was still present would normally indicate that they were still servicable. A shiney surface would raise a flag"

John

Interesting point, but unless there is a bearing issue in the idler, there should be a negligible resistance between the belt and the pulley therefore negligible slip and therefore negligible wear. I havent looked at a V8 tensioner in detail so if there is a black coating on the idler he is probably correct in his observation as it would indicate a bearing starting to get a bit sick. However in most engines I have seen and worked on the idler has a black plastic tyre or uses the back of the bearing without a coating. Without the knowing the detail of the tensioner finish , I would make the point that it is always important to check the tensioner at least when changing the belt or better replace it. It cost a lot less to replace the tensoner than fix the engine.

When I was referring to the pulleys wearing however, I assumed it was the toothed pulleys that was under discussion.

Cheers

Ralph

With a comeback like that, I can only hazzard a guess that iffy must be in the law profession. LOL

Edit: no offense to those who are, have many many many people in my family who are in that profession. It takes a special person to practice law which I'm not. I ended up with the mechanic skills, so needless to say, I'm the one everyone calls on to "fix it".

ifly is not in the law profession but deals with them quite a lot! Not through choice but because of clients problems. iffy may be in the profession but that is probably why he is called iffy in the 1st place :)

I have been in the engineering profession for a long time on a number of different fronts. :):(:)

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

If I recall when I examined the tensioners and pulleys that were removed from mine, they were metallic, and did have a black coating (paint or something similar). All were mostly fine (coating intact with little or no indication of wear) however one of the tensioners did have a slightly stiff spot in its rotation. I planned on having them replaced anyway as it was "cheap insurance", however I'm sure I could have gotten away with reusing everything except the one tensioner.

"...have many many many people in my family who are in that profession. It takes a special person to practice law..."

Memo to self: Do not mess with Mr. Grider or his family in any way.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.