free hit
counters
near miss on the way home - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mr.oogieboogie

near miss on the way home

well i was gearing down after leaving the m1 and thought i heard a woosh sound, every thing sempt ok so i continued on with both windows down listening for anything. about 4 miles further on i noticed that the reves were not dropping as they should and then the oil light started to flicker (at that point the pound signs started to appear) i pulled the car off teh road and into a garden center carpark. popping the boot and removing the engine cover i looked and saw that the alternator had moved and was nearly touching the timing belt. the large alternator bolt had snapped and 3/4's of it was sat on the engine after moving out of the alternator brackets. a quick phone call and my wife and kids picked me up and took me to get a bolt. after looking at the snapped bolt there were signs of fatigue and wear so if any one else in changing teh alternator i would advise gettin a new bolt as if the fins had caught the timing belt - oouch much money. the only thing that stopped it doing this was the plastic tensioning guide which im suprised did not snap. lucky day

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi mate, sigh of relief I think, that whole area is one to watch, my car was ticking over last week end on the drive and I hear a whooshing noise, cylclic and strange I thought. It was only when I saw it in hte dark that I noticed the alternator sparking across to something. I found the wiring harness which run over the back of the engine had slipped done and the pully / belt hard worn away 2 cables, and was shorting out. Strangly everything still worked. Could have caused a fire - another near miss.

Regards

Dave