free hit
counters
Clearance? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

How do you find your esprit with speed bumps etc, reason I ask is that I cant get over any without scraping is that normal? so much so that my little front spoiler is now cracked because the damm thing scrapes on everything even the smallest ramp :/

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My 4x4 looking Turbo Esprit has no issues with speed bumps, much higher and I might struggle with multi-storey car parks.

Seriously, check the clearence from the front (lower part of front chassis) and rear (lower part of bottom link mounting point) to the ground and compare to spec, you might have an issue, but it really depends on how high those speed bumps are.

My S4 is on the new Lotus set up and I can get up kerbs without scraping.

Its a bit too high to be honest!!!

I've got the Sport300 front blip and it scrapes when I brake hard! My car is set up with fully adj suspension by a Lotus dealer so it's how it's meant to be!

Speed bumps are at least 4" (100mm) high and the lip on the front valance of my V8 is 3.5" ( 89mm) so my car scrapes every time. Fortunately it is soft rubber but eventually it will have an 11mm speed bump shaped cut out.

went and measured mine its 4" at its lowest point :/ all I can think is the speed bumps near me are ultra high or something

4 inches is only around 10cm, I think spec if 17cm (generally), did you measure at the specified points? if so , I'd say your springs are sagging a lot. If that was just at the lowest point such as spoiler etc, it's hard to tell if that's right.

There is a small village near me called Auchtertool (B925) which has NINE sets of speed bumps in 0.4miles (440 yards or 420 metres). It also has a permanent 20mph speed limit presumably because there is a primary school in the village. I think speed bumps every 50 yards is overkill but I don't have a problem with 20mph speed limits in the vicinity of a school however they should be timed + 1 hour at the start and end of the school hours.

Auchtertool

Oh yes there is a Local Authority Councellor living in the town, perhaps that's why they have these excessive safety measures.

I don't use this road with my Esprit because of the bumps but I will check them out for height given the legal maximum posted by bibs.

4 inches is only around 10cm, I think spec if 17cm (generally), did you measure at the specified points? if so , I'd say your springs are sagging a lot. If that was just at the lowest point such as spoiler etc, it's hard to tell if that's right.

That was just at the lowest point of the spoiler, the underside of the car does not hit anything its just this lip on my spoiler scrapes and is now broken as a consequence. think the springs are ok checked the ride height on both sides top of arches to floor probably not the best way to do it but they seem equal. speed bumps and small ramps are my problem multistory car park no chance

Edited by Jimjitsu

Jimi,

Sounds normal to me...lol I have the same issue when I arrive into either of my driveways. My Connecticut house I cannot even get the car into the Garage because not enough clearance. I have learned to approach all speed bumps at an offset angle which seems better. I crack at least one front spoiler a year it seems. The left takes more of a hit because of my one driveway in Maryland. I still cringe everytime I hear it scrap along the roadway.

Christopher

hehe thanks chris good to hear its normal I do exactly the same try to go over them at angles and very slow seems to work for most, best find myself a good supplier of spoilers xD

Edited by Jimjitsu

I've got the Sport300 front blip and it scrapes when I brake hard! My car is set up with fully adj suspension by a Lotus dealer so it's how it's meant to be!

Bibs,

1989 SE's (Eagle Chassis) were set up with "pro dive", which is different than the earlier 89 Esprits and '91 X180-R.

Pro-dive is not a good thing IMO...

The SE's also horribly understeer, admitted as a mistake by someone at Lotus in an article I read (not sure if it was MJK). They erred too far on the side of caution.

I was able to cure alot of that with stiffer adjustable suspension, and V8 alignment settings, such as front toe-out...

Back to the OP.

The ride height is measured at the front chassis cross member (the T-shaped beam between the wheels in the middle of the car) and at the rear under the hoop in the chassis. Both should be at 170mm above the ground as stock. If you are much lower than this you might look into why. My friend runs his X180-R low at ~159mm front and 156mm rear, but the X180-R is set up with a higher steering rack (anti-bump steer) and anti dive, anti squat geometry.

Do you know how they raised the rack?

The steering arm is different

The 89 Esprit is B082C4073F (RH) & B082C4074F (LH)

The S4 is A082C4212F (RH) & A082C4211F (LH)

the X180-R is 525 3101 043A & 525 3101 044A

http://vulcangrey.lotuscolorado.com/galler...+front.JPG.html

I'm wondering if the lower front wishbone is different, it's listed as part # 625 3101 801A & 802A on the X180-R

I have the parts list of X180-R changes, but there are no diagrams. I'll see if I can get the manual supplement.

Something I just noticed is the castor of the front

Here's my SE, note how the wishbone is pretty much centered on the shock tower

http://vulcangrey.lotuscolorado.com/galler..._serialNumber=2

Here is the X180-R

http://vulcangrey.lotuscolorado.com/galler..._serialNumber=1

The standoffs are actually welded to the shock tower, so that is one difference on the chassis.

http://vulcangrey.lotuscolorado.com/galler..._serialNumber=2

Ok, here's what the X180-R supplement says.

Front Suspension:

-Revised lower link geometry to give zero dive or squat.

-Strengthened top links with shortened inboard pivots to give increased caster, camber being adjustable via rotating lock washers.

-Spring tower strengthened with spring frequency raised 40%.

-Anti roll bar tuned for neutral handling, running in solid bushings transmitting roll control via spherical bushes in the modified track control arm.

-Dampers have revised settings, new rubber mounts and steel retainers.

-Steering rack, standard component on higher mounts connects to revised steering arms to control toe characteristics.

-ride height reduced.

Chassis Frame:

it talks about roll cage mounts ans strengthening and then says this about the rack

-Steering rack mounts raised

-front suspension top link pivot tube length reduced.

There are many other changes that I didn't type...

of course it makes sense that they would remount the rack higher, since by lowering the car, they have changed the angle of the tie rods to the steering arm. As the suspension compresses, if that angle goes too far negative, then the angle will cause toe changes.