free hit
counters
Time for new tyres on the Esprit - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roger 912

Time for new tyres on the Esprit

I have just returned from a 200 km round trip journey to the nearest large supplier of Tyres in the area and have come away empty handed.

I took the two rear wheels of my 84 Turbo for new rubber and firstly, I was told that there is no supplier of 235's in South Africa. My next option was to go for 225's, but when they were fitted, to balance the wheels they needed 200 gram weights on the inside of the wheel. When I told them that this was unacceptable, they went through their entire stock of 225's tyres and the lowest weight required was 100 grams. As the tyres that were removed has a maximum weight for balancing of 15 grams, I refused the make offered and they are now looking at finding some other make for me.

Out of interest, they blamed the rims, so we checked the rims without tyres and they were perfect, within 10 grams.

The tyres that they are trying to find are Kyoto or something like that. I will find out tomorrow what is happening, but I am not a happy chappie.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have just received the wheels back and fitted them to the car. The tyres were made by Kumho of Korea. These only required weights of 30 grammes or less to balance them. I will report back later after my first long trip as to how well they performed.

hi roger

richard here in SA i just had tyres fitted last week yo my e turbo.

i got a set of Federal Formosa tyres ,std front and 225 at the rear.took a fairly long drive on saturday - nice ride and hardly any weight +- 30 gram per wheel.drop me a line and i will give you the no.remember that it is always advisable to put on a matching pair to the fr and rear-and did i hunt to get the solution.