free hit
counters
New Rear Tyres - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Its about that time again......

New Rear tyre time. I retrieved the following from the tyre itself; Goodyear NCT 60 235/60 vr15

I take it the vr15 relates to the fact the car has 15inch rims on the back.

Anyone have any inkling as to where these or equvalents may be available from?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Jon

The VR is the speed rating.

What you do now really depends on if you want fresh rubber. The problem is that Goodyear don't make that size any longer (stopped in 1990's) although some say they may still have the moulds..

Other options may be available but tend to come and go. As I recall the Factory best fit option was a recommendation of Pirelli P600 (or was it P6000) but the size was something like 225 60 15 not the fatter (better looking) 235 60 15's.

So if you wanted to keep the car looking 'right' with fat tyres filling the arches then you will probably have to search for 2nd hand ones. Everybody has a view on this and its a personal choice about putting used tyres (old) on a quick car. Personally if they look OK with no cracks and have been dry stored out of teh sunlight then I may not have a problem but then I don't do 150 MPH in the winter..

The 'correct ones' ie made for the car (Goodyear NCT 235 60 VR15) are very hard to find, even used but sometimes appear on fleabay - Last week a bald pair failed to find a buyer at around

I am sure I heard ? read some where that the rubber in tyres starts to go off after six months and if buying check the date on the tyre (in code on the tyre wall) to make sure it is fresh...

Hi,

Pirelli do a 235/60/15, P600, they can difficult to source.

Drop me a pm if you can't find any as I have a contact for them.

Les

The Jaguar type NCT had one less band of tread than the Lotus NCT...and Goodyear said it should not be fitted to a Lotus. I've had a pair on mine, and the handling/roadholding was definitely impaired. I'm in the market for a new set of rear boots, too...the pair I bought at an outrageous price from Derek Dean are nearly slicks!!

High guys, just a bit of sensibleness if there is such a word, I would always go for new tyres the lotus is a quick car and in the limit does push tyres hard. If you drive carefully, and slowly then second hand (hard, aged) maybe ok

Tread carefully. In you will pardon the pun.

Dave

H,

Thanks for posting the link. Confirmed my basic knowledge that we're really looking at a maximum age of 10 years.

I'm replacing all 4 of my tyres on the V8 next week as part of the A service. Purchased them from Blackcircles who are delivering them (hopefully) directly to the dealer.

The existing tyres are showing signs of cracking in the side wall and I suspect they are the originals which would put them at nearly 10 years old.

Official from Pirelli:

New 235/60W15 will be available in december 2010.

Now you can do some serious motoring to get the last out of the old ones this november :)

P6000's, Stig? Can't find anything on the net, but I'd welcome matching front and back boots (fronts P9000, 2 months old, rears P600's - 11 years old....eeek)

//R

It will be Pirelli P600 235/60W15 (as fitted on Jags apparently)

Otherwise - this could be interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130446023118&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Expensive:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190445916975&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you change the tyre measurement slightly ,it will not have a huge inpact - Go for Federal Formosa 225/60/15's

You are best to do a 4 matching pair and tread on an Esprit.Those Pirelli tyres (p600) are old technology anyway .

Richard

It will be Pirelli P600 235/60W15 (as fitted on Jags apparently)

Otherwise - this could be interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130446023118&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Expensive:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190445916975&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The wheels will still need hub centric spacers custom made for the rears as the offset will be no where near enough, I used to run bmw z3m alloys on the back of my esprit and they where really deep dish 9 inches wide and an offset of only + 7 an still used a spacer :rolleyes: , You can get these made for about £300 but make sure the metals decent.

Regards danny

I use Cooper tyres in that size and found them good. The only problem I found is they are little soft for track use as after about 5 laps one has to give them a break to cool down.

I use Cooper tyres in that size and found them good. The only problem I found is they are little soft for track use as after about 5 laps one has to give them a break to cool down.

Have looked at the cooper tyres but they only seem to be H spped rating which is not to good for the esprit, thats why they will be no good on track, Try the kumho suv tyres, they carry a V spped rating, have a modern tyre tread and a high load rating and are more than good enough for the job.

Regards danny

Black circles are now listing these under the correct size - 235 - 60 - 15 - unless this is a relic from when they sold them before?

I do not know what to do.

On one hand my Turbo Esprit is very original running on Pirelli P6/P600. In the wet they are showing their age with wheelspin in 3rd. Now that Pirelli have manufacured a new batch of "old" P6 with 30 year old technology, I do consider them despite they are not destined for a supercar rather than Jag XJS.

On the other hand, now it might be the time to change to 17" rims with a wider range of tires available - and with modern technology.

I would like to go for 16" rims, but there are no tires available.

BBS have some 17" rims looking very much like the originals - with 2 x 40 mm rear spacers BMW 5 series should be a match.

I read about the Nürburgring track times, that the new fast times, mainly are related to new tire technology e.g. Porsche Carrera GT versus Porsche GT2.

What do you think?

Has anyone any experience in this matter?

Been down this route, bought 'new 235's from Protyre earlier this year (loads in stock). Was keen to change the spec of the wheel an tyre but the car won t benefit massively unless there's a huge amount of other changes.

Keep it simple as the car was designed with those sizes.

These cars are what they are, now I'm pleased I kept the BBS and bulging high profile rears............. just my meek opinion on the matter innocent.gif

Have looked at the cooper tyres but they only seem to be H spped rating which is not to good for the esprit, thats why they will be no good on track, Try the kumho suv tyres, they carry a V spped rating, have a modern tyre tread and a high load rating and are more than good enough for the job.

Regards danny

Hi Danny

I notice there are quite a few types of Khumo SUV tyres. Do you know the relevant model number?

Thanks

Graeme