free hit
counters
Spacers : 35 mm back, how much in the front ? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bzguy

Spacers : 35 mm back, how much in the front ?

Hi,

bought a second hand set of rear PUK wheel spacers : 35 mm, will be installed on the back wheels.

What I was wondering : what would be the best set to choose for the front wheels ? 20 mm ? 25 mm ?

My wheels : Nova's

Body : S4, but I'll be installing wheel arches, so let's say S4s body

All help welcome :santa:

// edit : did a bit of searching already, think 25 mm would be just too much (rubbing ?)

Edited by bzguy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They seem very large, I put 6 mm on mine and that pushed the wheels out alot. Re ember the loading on the bearings. For the front you may have clearance problems when turning. So I would check carefully.

Sorry not to be. More positive. But that's my e xperience.

Dave

On reflection, I tried to put spacers on the front - it did not work. No room in the arches

Edited by Dave Freeman

They seem very large, I put 6 mm on mine and that pushed the wheels out alot. Re ember the loading on the bearings. For the front you may have clearance problems when turning. So I would check carefully.

Sorry not to be. More positive. But that's my e xperience.

Dave

On reflection, I tried to put spacers on the front - it did not work. No room in the arches

I know load on the bearings will increase, but with less than 2000 kms' a year I don't really care :santa:

Wheel clearance is ok now (original suspension), I'll have a check first on the front wheel bays ...

hey BZ guy

i had 20mm on mine

no problems what so ever

rens

Thanx for the info Rens !

//off topic : did you get another car yet ? If I recall well you were looking for another toy ?

Hans,

I have the 25mm from PUK on the front of my S4. Only thing I notice is that if I am at full lock on the steering I will rub into the the fender well, as we call it here in the States. I have also noticed a bit more of a tyre scrub whilst backing out of my garage into the turnaround area in the motor court. I have been well pleased with them. Though I did have to have Marcus send me a new set of fronts because on some of the OZ wheels the wheel would not fit unto the spacer. Marcus sent me out a new set that had been machined. No one would machine them due to liability issues here in the States. My suggestion would be to measure the diametre of the centre of the rim at the hub and give that measurement to Marcus to assure that the fit is right the first time. Though you do not have the wait we have here for parts....lol

Christopher

Edited by cjtpb13

Interesting that the S4 is so different from mine, although my wheels were made the max allowable, ie with little or no rubbing. My fronts would lock up even with 6 mm spacers. Not sure what they would be like with the standard wheels. something to remember and this may not be s on yours is that you may need longer bolts on the wheels. The engagement of thread should be at least 1.5 x the diameter of the thread. Mine ended up 10mm longer.

Sorry to mislead on the rubbing, if others have found it ok then good.

Best of luck, lets see some picies

Dave

Hmm...

An S4 with V8 OZ Novas should be pretty much flush with the body! I've seen a 25mm spacer on the rear of a V8 with V8 wheels (still fit under the arches).

But without arches, I don't think you'd want any spacers.

Now an S4 with S4 wheels definitely needs spacers! The S4 wheels are way to inset.

Does your S4 have Brembo brakes or not? If you have the Brembos, then the hat will add ~6mm of thickness, if not then I could see a little spacing.

I have the V8 AWI wheels on my 89SE without any spacers, and I rub on full lock (inside front wells) but the wheels are completely flush with the body.

Travis, mine does have Brembo brakes :)

Wheels are quite aligned with the body now, but I'll put spacers on when the wheel arches will be installed, to have it aligned again :animier: