free hit
counters
removing the air con - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mike6

removing the air con

Just purchased a 88 Turbo. Told the air con is knackered - it has opening windows and a sun roof so who needs it anyway.

I want to rip it out at a later stage but as a start I understand that simply removing the compressor drive belt will give a very useful improvement in performance. Is this correct and a daft question will this affect the heating in the winter.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I am not sure why removing the belt would improve performance. There is a clutch that's precisely there to relieve the engine from driving the compressor, when air-con is not being used. So removing the belt would only remove the load represented by the clucth, which is minimal, by it's very design/nature.

Well at least the SE, for what I know, does have a clutch. I have no particular knowledge of the turbo/non-SE cars... maybe they don't have a clutch ?!

That would seem odd, but why not...

Edited by troutrou

Welcome Mike,

I removed the aircon from my '88 for much the same reasons.

You can just remove the belt to stop the compressor being driven all the time all do what I did and remove the whole lot.

One less pulley for the engine to drive and less weight on the car :P

The only negative is It may get a bit warm in the car for 1 week in July. :)

Hi Lee, so you confirm that the simple turbo don't have an air-con clutch then ?!

I find this really odd. I am not sure the compressor would survive long if it was actually driven all the time for 20+ years...

I will check my parts and service manuals to see if they say anything to confirm or deny this point.

Edited by troutrou