free hit
counters
Adding a cubby to the center console? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
shadeone

Adding a cubby to the center console?

Just wondering if this is at all psosible (if i actually found the cubby part)

first take a look at my console:

esprit45.jpg

now, if i were to get the lieelt cubby storage area piece from somewhere and a new panel for the heater, would i be able to just do a simple drop in upgrade to get it to look like the later cars style, like this?:

bp9kwbgkkgrhgookjeejllm.jpg

or are there specific slots once you remove the parts that they specifically fit into? would the heater be a simple re-do as far as the knobs go, or is there more behind that panel then meets the eye that wouldnt allow the change to the smaller panel?

I really want a place to store the crap in my pockets when im out driving... mainly my cell phone and still have it be within reach and viewable...

shade

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't know the answer and it looks like you'd have to move the radio up as well. I do have an ac/heater control panel I'll give you if you need it.

im going to read over the parts manual tonight and see how it looks behind there...

lotus4s, i might have to tak you up on that offer! Ill mesasge you once i figure out what this all entails!

shade

Jamie,

From personal experience I believe you will find upon acceleration that anything in that "cubby" ends up around the shift boot. Whether it be a mobile phone, garage door opener, or loose cash. Mine stayed absolutely empty until I removed to place a Double DIN SatNav and ICE in that modified spot. In order to lower the heating controls and SatNav a bit of welding was neccessary.

i think i might fabricate just a very tiny lip at the enterance to run across the bottom to stop such a thing from happening...

thanks for the advice!

I'd be interested in how you do this shade and thought about it myself a couple of times

my sunglasses stay in there but others things i have put in there did come flying out

It's an easy mod to do if you can weld.

There are a small steel andle frame - simply grind the welds off and the heater control panel will come off - move it where you want and weld it back on, same with the radio appature.

Job done.

pic from the parts manual shows the frame in which you are referring to:

consoleo.jpg

LEW also shows a little peek at the frame:

heatercontrol_Pic11.jpg

also, this shot which looks like a giant clusterf**k of wires that i may not want to mess with:

Stereo_Install_26.jpg

so would it be safe to say i would need the new smaller size frame from the later car to be welded in place of the older larger one in addition to everything? if this is correct, finding that part may be hard as hell.... anyone got any leads?

shade

Would it be easier to make the cubby in the top section? Might not hold much but could balance the look.

LOL there shouldnt be that many wires in there - looks like someone's been doing some DIY

The changes are clearls seen in parts 20 and 22

The hardest bit is getting the leather trim out !