free hit
counters
Diet ? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I came home via our local refuge tip today (don't ask why) anyway on the way out I had to go over the weight bridge, 1320kg, now if I weight 68, I've got 3/4 of a tank (2) of gas and the weekly groceries, then I make my cars' under weight? Does any one have an accurate weight measurement for a 1988 stevens turbo?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I am never sure what "kerb" weight means... I know what a kerb is, just can't make sense of a kerb "weight".. Does that mean: engine oil + engine coolant + some petrol (how much, 50, 75% ?)

The figures listed there are interesting, the SE weights the same as a Sport 300 ! And the S4 is 75 kg lighter than the SE, despite being an SE deep down PLUS power steering and larger alloy wheels, and bigger brakes on later models. It should be heavier not lighter I would have thought ! Sure enough, the S4 dropped the heavy glass back, but I doubt that this piece of glass would weight SO much (100Kg or so) that it would offset the power steering components, the bigger brakes and larger alloys, and still drop 75kg on top of that...

I think I will never believe Esprits weights, until I can put them on a weight bridge and see for myself, like Roger did for his...

UPDATE: Google tells me the official European definition of kerb weight = car + oil + coolant + spare wheel + all tools + 90% fuel tank + 68kg driver + 7kg luggage.

IIRC the tanks hold about 75 litres/kg from memory, so 90% of that is almost 70kg, plus driver and luggage, that's about 145kg I would remove from the kerb weight to give me an idea of what the CAR ;-) weights.

So an SE drops from 1305kg down to about 1150kg, much better ! :)

Edited by troutrou

Vince, those figures are from Lotus, they are correct. I used the weighbridge at Brands Hatch when I was there for a trackday and my car was 1299kgs, very close to the mark!

I think the only sensible weight to judge anything by has to be full of fluids

with a spare tyre, petrol in the tank etc. Like it would be when you say, put

the car on a rolling road. You could not for example fairly calculate BHP per

TON using the weight of a car stripped of everything including petrol V the

dyno readings of the same car full of fluids with a man sat in it.

The Elise 111s is 770kg with full tank.

The book quotes it up to 992kg With 'Two occupants and luggage'.

How they work that out is beyond me. My apprentice Adam and myself for example,

if we add both our weights together, do not weigh as much as my workmate Chris.

So how much do two people weigh? the average will vary, will two people from the UK

be the same as two from the US, or Asia? What daft guesswork to put in an owners manual

and dafter still to use as an example of a cars fully laden weight.

:)

Vince, those figures are from Lotus, they are correct. I used the weighbridge at Brands Hatch when I was there for a trackday and my car was 1299kgs, very close to the mark!

But were you in it at the time?

/ insert pie eating joke about Bibs here /

I am okay that it makes sense to include petrol in the kerb weight, but not occupants or luggage, as this is entirely dependant on the owner. He maybe much heavier than the official 68kg (like myself, 100kg and 6'6")) and never have a passenger (like I do) and never have any luggage (like I also do, whener driving in a spirited manner, I carry only my wallet, and if not driving in a spirited manner, then weight is irrelevant anyway).

And regarldess of the calculation method, I am still very intrigued how the S4 can be so much lighter, 75kg, (or lighter at all really) than an SE. I would love Lotus to explain that to me in fine detail... Kato, please ring your contact at the factory :)

Edited by troutrou

I would imagine that they use an average and I'd also imagine that they have to state kerb weight (as defined) due to legislation and for direct comparisons.

Yeah I understood kerb weight as the car ready to drive away and with a full tank.

As for weights, Jonny's totally unofficial guide would be :

Esprit SE = 1305Kg (user manual)

S4 = 1339Kg (user manual)

Sport 300 = 1192Kg (leaflets)

S4s = 1339Kg (user manual)

V8 = 1380Kg (user manual and leaflets)

V8GT = 1330kg (leaflets)

GT3 (the best) = 1229Kg (user manual and leaflets)

Got no info for the rest

Keep in mind the options list.

I still think mine could be the lightest of the post G 4 pots though, thin seats, thin exhaust, no aircon, sometimes I even drive with 1/2 a tank of washer fluid, I always take a charles before getting too :)

What about a weigh in ?

My theifing weighbridge want

Edited by Jonathan

> Esprit SE = 1305Kg (user manual)

> S4 = 1339Kg (user manual)

Ahhhh... I find this much more plausible ! ;-)

A consistent source of information, here the user manual in both cases.

GT3 is nice and light, but I want to believe (prefering the early SE), that a "comparable" SE, that is minus air-con gear and spare wheel, would not be that far off the GT3 weight..

What do you mean by thin exhaust ? Did Lotus provide two thicknesses of metal or is that an aftermarket unit ? Any idea of respective weight of thin vs thick items ?

I do remember that when my SE friend replaced his stock Lotus exhaust with a PUK one (no idea of its thickness relative to the Lotus exhaust, though), we saved 6kg, but I can't remember how much the original exhaust weighted. 13kg maybe, can't remember for sure...

Edited by troutrou

/ insert pie eating joke about Bibs here /

Well that should just about be the end of the new moderators position :)

I just looked up Curb/Kurb weight on Wikipedia, the EU has turned that into a can of worms, but either way at 1320 with me in it ans 3/4 of tank it still sounds light, yet I know the scales are accurate and checked regularly.