free hit
counters
S1 Restoration Progress - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
philleech

S1 Restoration Progress

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Chassis isnt galvanised but it now waxoiled and has three coats of hammerite.

Phil

Coming together nicely. Look forward to seeing some more photos. :)

Good luck Phil. DOn't forget the coffee if your in the area. Can I ask where you got the tyres from?

Tyres came from camskill.co.uk Ive had them for a while but they are still listed as available on the website 20570HR14

Phil

Havent forgotten the coffee offer!

What an intresting car Phil, what are your plans for the completed rebuild? Did it have the Vegali clocks or the S2 black ones? What type of trim was it in?

Looks like you are doing a fine job but have a lot to do, are you keeping it silver?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, car came to me with smiths dials but I have a set of veglias now. Interior was Brown and champagne velour.......revolting and will probably become black or dark grey leather and alcantara.

Im going to keep it silver as it was the first silver production one. and Im so close to starting it up for the first time but house build is a higher priority although the house is almost done now. I may well use it as my every day runner once its reliable but will certainly be keeping it until the "resto bug" pops its head up and the desire to rebuild something else materialises. Sunbeam Lotus was my first ground up rebuild and that eventually went to fund the Esprit. Thanks for the interest

Phil

How time flies ! 2 years and 4 days after my last posting here I can report that the seats and various other bits have now been retrimmed in black leather whilst the dash and door cards are black alcantara. Car is currently in the paint shop being resprayed silver and I even managed to drive it out of my garage up the drive and onto the trailer.... The furthest its been under its own steam in 16years. Looking forward to getting her back so I can put her back together again!!I will post some piccies here shortly...

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/pjmleech/EspritS12?feat=directlink

hi phil, looks like your making good progress,when do u hope to finish it? quick question, what material did u use to do the centre arm rest etc. cheers paul

Hi Paul, Id like to say end of the year but work often gets in the way......being doing it for 8 years now so wont be rushing the best bit of putting it back together. The interior is a mix of black alcantara and leather, seats ,steering wheel, map pocket, centre arm rest and door card inserts are all leather and everything else is alcantara.

Hi Phil - are you keping the ears and the front bib as for the S2 or amending to S1 spec?

I'd like to make my S2 more like an S1 during restoration and wondered if you had investigated these mods.

Hi Jonathon, I have removed the ears as they werent connected to anything in my car, all the rear lights and number plate mount are now S1 and I have removed the S2 wing mirrors and will try and fit something close to an S1 mirror. The front bib is more difficult as I think the S1 and S2 front tubs are different where the spoiler fits and I believe my S1 tub has been cut to offer an S2 bib to it. As the S1 spoiler didnt do very much to aid cooling (or handling I believe)I have elected to keep the bib. Dashboard is also now a veglia from an S1. The only other S2 bit to stay is the speedlines as I cant find a set of Wolfraces anywhere. Hope this helps. Phil

hi phil, are the S2 mirrors genuine? if they are and you were thinking of selling them could you let me know, many thanks paul.

hi phil, are the S2 mirrors genuine? if they are and you were thinking of selling them could you let me know, many thanks paul.

They are genuine and I was thinking about sticking them on ebay along with the joystick controller

House rebuild has slowed the car restoration down but finally got over to my lockup yesterday for a days r and r rebuilding the carbs and taking some snaps

Phil

http://picasaweb.goo...feat=directlink

Phil,

In your photo essay, you have a three quarter front view of your 907. Is there any chance you can still take a photo of the engine front end on? Seem to be having difficulty threading the timing belt on mine. As I can not see the front of the engine from above, a photo may help me with the correct positioning. Thanks in advance.

Lyn

Incidentally, great job on your car!!!!!

Edited by 77 esprit