free hit
counters
S1 Restoration Progress - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S1 Restoration Progress

Phil,

In your photo essay, you have a three quarter front view of your 907. Is there any chance you can still take a photo of the engine front end on? Seem to be having difficulty threading the timing belt on mine. As I can not see the front of the engine from above, a photo may help me with the correct positioning. Thanks in advance.

Lyn

Incidentally, great job on your car!!!!!

Hi Lyn, my engine is back in the car now so cant really get the shot you need but if you look here this might help as theres a picture of the front of the engine if you scroll down

Phil

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EModels/S1_SalesBrochure.html

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the engine out of my Elite at the mo, I could take a photo of the front of that if you want? Same 907 as yours.

Paul,

Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Lyn

Here are a couple of shots.

It appears in the last photo you pulled the engine using a single strap; past the intake manifold, all the way under the oil pan and over the exhaust manifold? Is this standard practice on the front engine cars? Been trying to figure out how to pull my lump. Thanks for the photos and your assistance.

Lyn

• 10 months later...

Ive actually got some stuff done in the last few months. Unblocked a pump jet in one of the carbs,headlining in ,passenger side carpeted and one door card finished. I got the leather insert professionally done but the rest of the door card is down to me and mum in law.  more to follow....

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/pjmleech/EspritS12?feat=directlink

Phil

You've got a picture of the three SJ fans fitted to your radiator. The fans themselves are bigger than the radiator and overhang by an amount at the top in your photo. Have you offered the radiator housing up to the car? The reason I ask is that I have an S1 and the fans sold by SJ wouldn't fit on my car. If they were mounted on the front of the radiator they couldn't be any bigger than the radiator itself which is about 7".

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi  Paul, that picture is taken from under the front bumper with the fans and radiator now all connected and working. They are from SJ as is the radiator. I binned all the stainless fixings that they came with as I couldnt figure out how they worked. They are fixed direct to the radiator and dont foul anywhere. The radiator bracketry on the chassis had completely rotted away when I took the body off mine so I completely remade it using the little remains I had as a pattern so perhaps that has a bearing on why mine fits? The fans overhang above and below the rad but the lip in the cowling at the bottom of the rad allow for an overhang there and I think there's a small gap at the top between the rad and the mounting frame (where the foam sits) which allows clearance here..

Hope this helps?

Phil

Have you got any pictures looking into the front of the radiator with it fitted to the car? Mine has a vertical rad and I'm guessing yours has a slanted rad?

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 1 year later...

Doesnt time fly... over a 10 year restoration project but getting a wiggle on now. Electrics finished, interior done with the exception of fitting the passenger seat ( I cant do that until I turn the car round in my tiny garage. ) Waistline trim on, cant rail chrome trim trimmed and fitted (Bloody fiddly little job that one)....

I managed to drive the car out of the garage at the weekend but its back to running on three cylinders again. I pulled the ht leads off one at a time and found cylinder 4 not contributing to the "smooth running". I found my ancient colourtune plugged it in and saw a spark only with no bang so Im assuming I have a blocked jet somewhere. Im sure this one has blocked before so carbs coming off again I guess. Not many bits left to put back on now so Im getting close to weighing the car down and tightening the suspension, having another go at bleeding the brakes and then balancing the carbs, carpeting the boot and refitting the two rear quarter windows.

Were insured for the first time now in 20 years so hopefully a drive to an mot station in the near future isnt out of the question. 

Ive added a few pictures to my album

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/pjmleech/EspritS12?feat=directlink

I'm also curious about the radiator situation as I've bought the SJ alloy radiator and fans and have yet to fit. So you have to drill holes in the rad to fit the fans?

And I thought the inclined rad was fitted to later S2s not the S1?

Edited by Freemason

Yep drilled 6 holes into the rad frame. You can see 4 of them in the picture. Bear in mind that my S1 although it has an upright radiator has a "bespoke" or factory fabricated S2 bib and spoiler so maybe this is giving me the clearance that seems to be an issue on S1s with an S1 spoiler?

Phil

Rightio, I'll probably end up doing something similar to get the fans on there.

As for your restoration, I would revert to the original S1 front end, it's a much better shape. The S2 spoiler ruins the clean lines of the original design:

http://www.actwin.com/toaph/life/cars/lotus/esprit/esprit.html